Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble attends the regional International Tuba/Euphonium Association Conference at Iowa State University in Ames, IA.

Associate Professor of Music Michael Smith.

Annie Goodroad (‘19) |Photo Bureau

Annie Goodroad (‘19) |Photo Bureau

Biz Wagenson and Fran Stevenson

Luther’s Tuba and Euphonium ensemble traveled to the regional International Tuba/Euphonium Association Conference held at Iowa State University in Ames, IA, from March 2-5.

This was the first time Luther’s ensemble attended the conference and the longest trip the ensemble has taken since it was started by Associate Professor of Music Michael Smith. Smith led the trip with Professor of Music Juan Tony Guzman (‘90). The ensemble — five tuba players and 13 euphonium players — joined Smith on March 4 in Ames.

At the conference students listened to other groups perform a variety of pieces. They also performed a 30-minute set including six different songs. One of the six songs was a solo piece by Benjamin Ostrem (‘19) entitled “Carnival of Venice.” The ensemble also performed Smith’s own arrangement of the piece “La Padovana Op. 18,” a piece based off an English folk song called “Ward the Pirate,” and an arrangement of “Finlandia.”

Ensemble member Ethan Harris (‘18) felt grateful Smith provided the group with this unique experience.

“[Getting] to travel a little bit and to perform for other people is an opportunity most other ensembles don’t get to have, so I think that was a big draw for [Smith],” Harris said.

Annie Goodroad (‘19) | Photo Bureau
Associate Professor of Music Michael Smith conducts brass ensemble.

Harris was excited to improve on his performing skills and for the opportunity to meet fellow tuba and euphonium playerss from other schools.

“I hope to gain performance experience and exposure to other performers of our instruments,” Harris said.

After the conference, Luther ensemble member Robert Muller (‘19) agreed that performing in front of a new audience was one of his favorite parts of attending the event this year.

“I really enjoyed playing music off-campus to a different audience than we typically have on-campus,” Muller said.

Photo courtesy of Elena Zarecky (’17)
Members of the Tuba and Euphonium ensemble at Iowa State University.

There were eight other schools in attendance at the conference to perform their sets on Saturday. According to another euphonium player, Seth Warner (‘18), the conference provided Luther tuba and euphonium players with the opportunity to hear other student performance ensembles play and learn more about other areas of tuba/euphonium performance.

“Some of the things [I enjoyed were] hearing other performances and different styles,” Warner said.

Muller said that being able to participate in the day’s events gave him an appreciation of the different experiences that Luther makes available to its students.

“I learned about the greater world of experiences and opportunities that Luther College provides and how important it is to use those opportunities when they are presented,” Muller said.