Concerned Students’ Action Plans for the Betterment of Luther College

As proposed to Luther College Community (Administration, Board of Regents, Faculty, Staff, and Students):

Taking into account Luther’s history and college mission statement, we have attached a list of proposals to maximize the well-being of all students attending Luther. Our concerns are not to be received as attacks, but as healthy critiques. They are not meant to be dismissed, but discussed critically amongst administration and students. If there are any questions, comments or concerns, you may forward them to: [email protected]

Respectfully,

Concerned Students of the Luther College Community Action Plans to Uphold the Luther College Mission Statement

I. Racial, ethnic and gender awareness and inclusion:

A. Establish a Safe Zone Workshop Committee responsible for administering semester training workshops for all departments, faculty, staff, and students.

B. Create visible and easily accessible gender-neutral restrooms on at least one floor of all buildings and residence halls on campus.

C. Integrate discussions about social issues happening in the wider world into campus programming annually.

D. Hire more faculty and staff of color and different religions.

E. Create and enforce a comprehensive racial and ethnic awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board which includes students, staff, and faculty of color.

F. Increase funding, resources, and personnel for the Diversity Center on campus to boost outreach and programming and campus-wide awareness and visibility.

G. Establish and fund a bi-monthly shuttle service for students to visit the Masjed Abubakr Al-Siddiq in Rochester, MN, free of charge.

H. Train students in bystander intervention and educate students on racial microaggressions and privilege via orientation.

II. Sexual Assault:

A. Train students in bystander intervention and educate students on rape culture via orientation and Fit and Well classes.

B. Ban individuals from playing in extracurricular activities including Greek Life while they are being investigated or charged for a serious crime (hate crime, multiple sexual assault).

III. Mental health:

A. Increase funding for Counseling Services to add two counselors to the staff.

B. Mandate all staff to become mental health first-aid certified.

C. Provide a HIPAA compliant room in all halls for counselors, RAs, and other certified staff to meet with a student.

D. Mandates for every person on campus to be taught the warning signs of suicide and how to address these concerns in an appropriate manner. All staff on campus should also be taught how to recognise signs of mental illnesses and undergo proper training on how to accommodate for students who are struggling.

E. Keep shadow block for students who utilize this time to receive accommodations from Disability Services and/or counseling services.

F. Provide an animal-student program for those suffering from a mental illness and are unable to have an ESA within their room.

G. Update the response protocol for those who are experiencing suicidal thoughts or have attempted suicide.

IV. Disability:

A. Give every student with a documented disability the appropriate technology that the individual needs in order to succeed at Luther.

B. Install a charging station of all motorized wheelchairs and scooters in every building on campus.

Josh Gonzalez (‘18) and Jacqueline Congello (‘18)

1 Comment

One Response to “Concerned Students’ Action Plans for the Betterment of Luther College”

1. Dan Walck on April 16th, 2017 8:48 pm

Simple… just say no! No wonder colleges are becoming more expensive year after year. You can’t be everything to everyone.