Alums cook up yummy food

Sweet Potato Noodles with Kale Pesto and Goat Cheese, a recipe from Yumbler.

Emily Stumpf (‘15) | Yumbler

Emily Stumpf (‘15) | Yumbler

Ben Selcke, Staff Writer

Learning how to cook on a budget? Luther alums Emily Stumpf (‘15) and Margaret Yapp (‘15) launched a food blog titled “Yumbler” that is perfect for the young adult learning to cook. Their goal is to provide innovative recipes designed for the average cook.   

Yumbler’s mission as stated on the website: “Yumbler is a food blog for you. We are dedicated to providing accessible, affordable, and exciting and seasonal recipes for you and your lifestyle.”

They operate their blog through WordPress at yumyumbler.com.

The blog is divided into four sections: Recipes, Buying on a Budget, Scoop on Soup, and Tips and Tricks.

The recipes are then divided into four categories: Main Dishes, Veggie Heaven, Naughty Wednesday, and Desserts. Although the blog is newly created, Stumpf and Yapp already have a fair number of recipes in each category. They try to post at least twice a week.

The Naughty Wednesday section offers a new twist on food blogs, healthy alcoholic drinks that incorporate flavors most drinks do not include.  One of the drink recipes featured is the blood orange martini. Stumpf and Yapp hope their directions and recipes are easy and a little out of the ordinary.

In addition to the recipes Yumbler provides, it also has tips to help the novice cook around the kitchen. In the most recent post in their Tips and Tricks section, Stumpf and Yapp discuss the use of the spiralizer, a gadget that makes long thin strips out of vegetables or anything else you pass through it. 

Yumbler also aims to help less food-savvy shoppers buy good food at reasonable prices with future articles.

“We want to have advice articles about buying in bulk, buying on a budget, and meal planning,” Yapp said. “We want it to go beyond recipes.”

Photo by Jeanette Byrnes Photography
Emily Stumpf (‘15) and Margaret Yapp (‘15).

The goal of the blog is to get people to cook good food and enjoy it. The recipes also encourage people to get out and explore more than just the shelves of the nearest grocery story.    

“Hopefully our seasonal recipes will encourage people to visit their local farmers markets and stores where they can get fresh foods,” Stumpf said.

The blog has a clear emphasis on being as inclusive to a variety of people and diets as possible. 

“Our articles vary on expertise and knowledge of food,” Stumpf said. “We try to do seasonal foods and we try to incorporate as many gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan options as possible.”

Stumpf emphasized the health goal of the blog and related this to her own story and switch to a healthier diet.

“I realized a lot of it comes down to food being processed, as soon as I started to make my own food [I felt healthier],” Stumpf said “I want to encourage people to make that move.”     

Emily Stumpf (‘15) | Yumbler
Mushroom Rissotto, a recipe from Yumbler blog.

As with most new ventures, finding time to work on a passion is difficult. Both Stumpf and Yapp work day jobs but still make time for the blog.

“Right now it’s taking a lot of work,” Stumpf said. “I’ll come home and do a couple of hours of work or a couple of hours of cooking so I feel like it’s really stressful right now but I’m really hoping that it pays off in the long run.”

Stumpf tied in her experience at Luther to her success post-college and her attitude to get something accomplished.   

“What you’ve done at Luther is a great launching pad for you to do almost anything,” Stumpf said. “My advice for someone who has the time is to go for it.”

Yapp seconded this idea, emphasizing that determination helps individuals achieve success after college. 

“Don’t underestimate yourself because you’re young,” Yapp said. “Follow what excites you and take a chance, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.” 

Students looking to follow the blog can go to the website directly or follow the blog on Facebook or Instagram. 

Yapp and Stumpf take requests for recipes, so if there is anything in particular you would like to see on the blog send it in on social media or by email at [email protected]