Grant brings mini Martins to campus through grant

Luther College President Paula Carlson and Campus Pastor Mike Blair help out the life-sized, Playmobil Martin Luther. Students were encouraged to take a picture with the life-sized Martin and Carlson in the Union on March 28.

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Sam Mitchell, Staff Writer

Luther College recently recieved miniature Martin Luther Playmobil figurines, as well as a life-sized iteration, via a grant through the German Embassy in celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.

Professor of German Ruth Kath applied for the grant to use toward the Playmobil figurines, among many other items, to help celebrate Luther’s Liberating Grace Conference.

“I applied for a grant from the German embassy in January,” Kath said. “This is part of an outreach they do every year to college campuses. They always have a different theme; this year  was the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. As part of the grant, I was permitted to plan a purchase, and ended up buying 200 small Martin Luthers, as they were already donating 100. They also gifted us a big statue, as with many of the other campuses who participated.”

The lifesize Playmobil statue, not to be confused with the Martin Luther cutouts, can be found in the Language Learning Center in Main Building.

The Playmobil figurines come with a twist. Each Martin Luther comes with a set of instructions attached, stating a goal to get as many pictures of the miniature Martins somewhere at Luther’s campus or in Decorah. Then, each photo is to be sent to Luther’s social media and the embassy in Washington D.C. with the hashtag “HereIStand” in the caption. Winners will recieve prizes.

In celebration of the event, the Director of the German Information Center Stefan Buchwald and Director of the German media company Deutsche Welle visited campus to broadcast the events, specifically to showcase the items bought for the college, as well as the other colleges participating in the Playmobil event.

Pablo Alonso (‘17) says he thinks the figurines are fitting way to celebrate the reformation.

“I think they are a fun way to engage the Luther community to celebrate Martin Luther’s legacy and the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation,” Alonso said.

Kath added that although the Playmobil figurines are fun, the grant will continue to benefit the college.

“We should be very pleased that we got the grant,” Kath said. “It’s neat, and it’s done a lot for the German [department], as well as for the college.”