Dance Marathon raises record funds in fourth annual event

Dance marathon attendees announce the final total funds raised.

Kate Knepprath ('17) | Photo Bureau

Kate Knepprath ('17) | Photo Bureau

Sam Mitchell, Staff Writer

Luther held its fourth-annual Dance Marathon on April 8, reaching a record-breaking $71,816.04 raised across nearly a year’s worth of fundraising events. Approximately 300 people attended the event.

The amount of funds that the organization raised this year are sent to the Children’s Miracle Network, a non-profit organization comprised of approximately 170 hospitals that treat children for various diseases and injuries. Dance marathon funds are used for purposes such as building new units in hospitals and providing affected families with emotional support.

Luther’s 12-hour dance marathon is the capstone of all fundraising events, which have been ongoing since fall semester 2016. Events prior to the dance marathon included several “Push Day[s],” for which Co-chair for Publicity and Outreach Allison Meier (‘17) said the organization exceeded its initial fundraising goals.

“That created hype not only within the leadership team but also our dancers,” Meier said.

This year’s dance marathon featured a craft table, a photo booth, and a jail that dancers could pay to send other dancers to, where they would be detained until they raised a designated amount of donations. Attendees could also play laser tag and three-on-three basketball. The main feature of the event asks that attendees refrain from sitting for the entire 12 hours.

“Families also come to tell their stories of how Dance Marathon and the hospital have helped them through their challenges,” Meier said.

Kate Knepprath (’17) | Photo Bureau
Dance marathon attendees watch a video screen during the 2017 event.

Past funds raised at Luther’s dance marathon have been put toward building a patient room in the inpatient unit at the recently-opened University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital in Iowa City, IA, according to Co-chair for Entertainment and Logistics Haley Steffen (‘19).

“This is very special to all of us, and something that Luther should be very proud of,” Steffen said.

For dancer Kristin Davis (‘18), who had her hair cut as part of fundraising for the event, focusing on the recipients of those funds was essential.

“We dance so those kids can have a better, more healthy life,” Davis said.