Lecturer Morris addresses media’s role in justice and forgiveness

Continuing lecturer of Religion at Augustana College Daniel Morris lecturers in Valders 206.

Nathan Riley ('18) | Photo Bureau

Nathan Riley ('18) | Photo Bureau

Ben Selcke, Staff Writer

Continuing lecturer of Religion at Augustana College Daniel Morris gave a lecture titled “Trusting a God of Justice: On Forgiveness and the Unarmed Black Man.” The lecture was held in Valders 206 on May 2. Approximately 70 people attended.

Morris’s lecture focused on how people, especially those in the media, have come to understand the killing of unarmed black men, saying “I see a deficit of trust playing at the heart of this phenomenon.”

Morris stated that the killing of black men was not a new phenomenon, but that society’s ability to capture these scenes on camera has changed.

The lecture also focused on the media’s insistence on asking families of victims to forgive their loved one’s killer. Morris said that this act has become a ritual in an attempt to bring order to the situation.   

“I think the media coverage could be better if journalists refrained from asking black families if they are willing to forgive their loved ones’ killers,” Morris said.

Nathan Riley (’18) | Photo Bureau
Students listen and take notes during the lecture.

Morris also said that this lecture is especially important for college students to hear.

“I enjoy talking to college students most because they are particularly passionate and because they are often open to new arguments and different perspectives in ways that older citizens are not,” Morris said.

In an interview for Chips, Morris said he saw his lecture as a call for white Christians to help seek equality.   

“The responsibility to love the oppressed and seek justice for them means, in the U.S. context, that white Christians must do a better job of getting involved in conversations about race, cultivating the virtue of solidarity, and making sacrifices on behalf of those who suffer from racial injustice,” Morris said.

Attendee Rebecka Green (‘19) acknowledged the specific impact that the lecture could have on Luther students. 

“The lecture tied in the religious aspect which is important to many students,” Green said. “Since we are a Lutheran college, it really helps to tie in two areas, [the other being social justice].”

Morris’s lecture will be the last lecture given by the religion department until the fall of 2017.