Norse of the Week: Nick Slavens (‘18)

Nick Slavens (‘18) runs ball in game against St. Olaf College

Rachel Miller (‘18) | Photo Bureau

Rachel Miller (‘18) | Photo Bureau

Ben Selcke, Sports Editor

Luther football defeated University of Dubuque in their first conference game of the year on Sept. 23. Nick Slavens (‘18) scored the game-winning touchdown with less than a minute on the clock. 

What position do you play?

Slavens: I play slot, so basically running back. We run a triple option, so we have two slot backs. We go in motion. We get the pitch or we’re the guy blocking.

Describe the last play that won the game.

It was a toss play to me, so we try to get wide and try to find a gap in the defense. My guys did a great job of blocking, so there was a gap and I found it, put my nose down, and tried to get in the end zone.

What were you expecting going into the game?

It really helped having our bye week before so we had two weeks to prepare. [University of Dubuque] is a super athletic team but we’re a very disciplined football team. We have more talent than we’ve had in the past and we just really believed in ourselves. We executed well. Our defense played their butts off. Offensively we didn’t play like we wanted to, but in the fourth quarter we came back up scoring two touchdowns.

What does it mean to beat the 25th team in the nation?

What it comes down to is that we’re 1-0 in the conference. We’re probably not going to get looked at for rankings just yet, but what matters to us is that we control our own destiny. We’ve just got to look at the game in front of us and win it.

What are your goals for the season, both personal and team-oriented? 

Personally, just do everything I can to make this football team win. Our ultimate goal is to win the conference championship and make it to the playoffs.

What part of playing football do you like the most?

Definitely the comradery with the guys. My first two years of college I was at the University of Iowa and I didn’t play any sports, so the difference in how many friends I’ve made [here] compared to Iowa is crazy. I’ve made lifelong friends hanging out and fighting with each other on game day, which is super cool.

Who is a football player you look up to?

If I had to pick one I’d say Christian McCaffrey. He’s a running back who played for Stanford University and now he plays for the Carolina Panthers. I just love the way he runs, he’s pretty fast but he’s a smaller running back. He just works his butt off and has this unbelievable desire and passion for the game.        

What’s your favorite sports brand?

I’ve always been a Nike guy. It’s the coolest brand and their clothing is great.