Norse of the Week: Benjamin Keller (’20)

Benjamin Keller (‘20) positions the ball in game against UW-Whitewater.

Kien Dao (‘20) | Photo Bureau

Kien Dao (‘20) | Photo Bureau

Benjamin Keller leads the men’s soccer team in goals scored this season with four total. Currently, the men’s team is undefeated in the IIAC which positions them third in  the conference standing.

What position do you play?

Keller: [I play] Forward, typically it’s the forward’s job to score goals. It’s been nice to be able to contribute in that way. I’ve been getting lots of opportunities from the guys around me which makes my jobs a lot easier. My job is [also] to be the furthest forward player and hopefully net the ball a couple of times.

What’s your favorite part about playing soccer at Luther?

The people I get to play with. Everyday is just a new experience and it is so much fun. All thirty plus players are willing to work as hard as they can for each other so it just makes it more of an enjoyable experience and a  positive environment.

How are you and the team preparing for the upcoming game against Loras College?

We are just going to keep doing the same stuff we have been doing: focusing on ourselves rather than who we are playing. [We want] to make sure we play our game and do what we’re suppose to do. That give us our best chance at winning no matter who we’re playing.

What are your personal goals for the season and team goals you guys have?

Personally I would like [us] to hopefully be able to win the IIAC. Continuing to lead the team in goals would be good but it is not anything near and dear to my heart. As long as our team plays well that counts for me. As a team, we want to continue our season for as long as we can.

What are your thoughts on the season so far?

We had a rough start but it helped us find our flaws. It is nice to see five days into our team’s  season, this is what is going wrong and what we need to improve. We have been finding lots of stuff out about ourselves which is helping us to grow and mesh together as a team, and hopefully we’ll continue to minimize those flaws to become a pretty decent threat to other teams.

What’s your favorite sports brand?

I have always been a big Nike guy. My older brother always wore Nike, so it just rubbed off on me.