Men’s Golf tie for 10th at Gustavus Classic

Johnpeter Knutson (‘20) drives the ball at the Ronnie Eastman Invite, last year.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

The Men’s Golf team shot 618 to finish in a tie for 10 out of 13 teams at the Gustavus Twin Cities Central tournament on Sept. 23 and 24.  The two-day, 36-hole tournament included a number of highly-ranked Midwest schools.

Individually, Joe Fewer (‘19) placed 10th shooting a 149, and Johnpeter Knutson (‘20) tied for 14th, shooting a 150.    

The tournament proved to be a continued success for Fewer, who has been on Luther’s lineup since his first year.

“Joe Fewer has a 73.9 average for the fall, with two top five and two top ten finishes in our fall tournaments,” Head Men’s Golf Coach Scott Fjelstul said.

Fewer pointed out that he is not the only member of the team to have a good start to the season.

“JP [Johnpeter] Knutson had a good finish,” Fewer said, regarding the Twin Cities Central tournament.  “He finished in the top 14, which was his career best finish.”

Fjelstul assessed the team’s performance this fall, specifically against high ranked teams.

“We have played a very tough schedule against very good competition on some very good golf courses this fall,” said Fjelstul. “Our best team finish of the fall was at the Midwest Region Classic where we tied for fourth out of 35 teams that week.”

Photo Courtesy of Joe Fewer
From left to right, Johnpeter Knutson (‘20), Joe Fewer (‘19), Connor Gossman (‘18), Ben Grotes (‘18), Carson Hagen (‘21), and Jake Jensen (‘21).

Looking at the overall season, Fjelstul offered an assessment on their competition.

“We play excellent competition and get to see how our summer work pays off,” Fjelstul said. “We also get to see new guys play in the lineup and get them tournament experience.  We will be more experienced and better prepared for the rest of the fall and then for our spring schedule.”

According to Fewer, the fall season helps the team prepare for the upcoming spring.

“We use this fall season to gain more experience and to get in tournament reps,” Fewer said. “That helps us to build towards our ultimate goal: the Conference Tournament in May.”

Returning to the lineup this year are Fewer, Spencer Horst (‘19), and Ben Grotnes (‘18). However, since conference champions Andrew Betts (‘17) and Peter Kephart (‘17) graduated last year, another goal is to fill the lineup.

“Those two guys were both a part of our back-to-back conference championships and also competing in the national championship two years in a row, so we really lost a lot of experience with those guys,” Fewer said. “[Knutson] has slid into that fourth man spot this year, but we’re searching for that solid fifth man going forward. That’s the big thing we’re looking for in the off-season.”

Fewer is hopeful that the team can repeat its conference championship victory.

“We made golf program history last year in repeating as conference champs,” Fewer said. “Getting back to nationals is a big thing for us.  We’re really excited.  Coach Fjelstul has done a really nice job.  He brings out the best in our games and that’s one thing we’re really lucky to have.”

The fall season schedule finished last weekend at the Viterbo University Ronnie Eastman Invitational in La Crosse, Wisconsin.