Men’s and women’s soccer pick up first conference losses

Hanna Christopher (‘19) fights for possession of the ball.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Natalie Nelson, Staff Writer

Both women’s and men’s soccer lost 0-2 to Loras College on Sunday, Oct. 8, the first conference loss for both teams. The games were originally scheduled for Saturday night but were postponed to Sunday afternoon due to the rain.

The men’s team had six shots on goal to Loras’ three. Loras players Marcus Singleton and Luke Denson scored the two goals. The women’s team had four shots on goal to Loras’ eight. Loras players Kiki Cabrera and Elizabeth Mills scored. Luther goalie Lauren Thormodsgard (‘18) made six saves during the game.

The Head Women’s Soccer Coach Russ Schouweiler commented on the high level of competition during Sunday’s match.

“We tied for first place with [Loras] last year, so we shared the trophy with them,” Schouweiler said. “They play a different brand of soccer than we’re used to and so we’ve got to adjust a little bit. Loras-Luther, soccer-wise, has always been a very good competitive rivalry for us.”

Schouweiler said he was happy with the team’s progress and attitude so far.
“It’s a young team and I’ve asked them to do a lot and to play in a bunch of different spots,” Schouweiler said. “The amount of learning they’ve done and the amount of growth they’ve shown from the middle of August to now is really awesome.”

Meredith Arpey (‘18) agreed that the team has improved together this season.

“It’s a different team, but I think we’re playing really well together,” Arpey said. “We’ve changed up our formation and everyone’s playing new positions, but everyone’s doing really well. The biggest challenge is just making sure we’re playing our best soccer and just focusing on us.”

Head Men’s Soccer Coach Chris Garcia-Prats, said that conference play will be challenging.
“I think the top six teams probably are able to win the conference championship,” Garcia-Prats said. “Loras has won the conference championship most recently, so obviously we’re trying to get the trophy back to Decorah. Right now, six teams in the conference are in the top 15 teams in the region, so that creates a big challenge.”

Both Luther teams are now 2-1 in their conferences.

According to Schouweiler, the women’s conference is equally challenging.

“I think right now you could still flip a coin to see who will come out on top,” Schouweiler said. “I think it’s that close.”

Garcia-Prats explained that having a home game for Homecoming was a rare and exciting occurrence.

“I think this is only my second time in ten years to be at home for Homecoming, so it adds a little bit of an edge for us to have support at the game,” Garcia-Prats said.

Since it was Homecoing weekend there was a 20-year reunion for the ‘97 conference championship team, and both teams honored alumni at the games.

Both men’s and women’s soccer will play home games against Wartburg College Friday, Oct. 13