Volleyball suffers defeat to Wartburg at home

Natalie Cote (‘19) sends the ball over the net with a bump.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Olivia Enquist, Staff Writer

Conference leader Wartburg College defeated Luther College Women’s Volleyball at home on Oct. 4. Luther lost all three sets with scores of 25-18, 25-11, and 25-21.

The loss dropped Luther’s conference record to 2-2 and to a 10-7 overall score. Wartburg’s win moved their standing to 14-3 overall.

Natalie Cote (‘19) reflected on the defeat.

“They are a really good team who played their best volleyball against us,” Cote said. “We knew going into the game that it would be tough. We learned a lot about how to respond when we aren’t playing our best volleyball and how to adjust to other teams.”

Wartburg College senior and 2016 Iowa Conference MVP Aryn Jones led all attackers with 13 kills and an attack percentage of .524. Throughout the sets, Wartburg controlled much of the net, while Luther maintained an attack percentage of .089. In total, Luther tallied seven total team blocks.

The Luther women’s volleyball team were supported by top attackers Emma Veum (‘19), who was credited with nine kills and three total blocks, Morgan Towne (‘20) with six kills, and Anna Larson (‘19) with five kills.

In the first set of the game, Wartburg maintained a score of 14-10 into the second timeout. While Luther aimed to continue to tighten the gap between the scores, they ultimately lost 25-18 in the first set.

Towne described how playing against Wartburg, a rival team, affected the game.

“Our team was physically prepared, but we were not mentally prepared to take on Wartburg that night,” Towne said. “They are a very tough team to beat and I believe that we may have underestimated them. I do think this was a great learning experience for us. I hope that we have the opportunity to play Wartburg again in the future.”

Wartburg established themselves early in the second set, maintaining a score of 14-2 into the second timeout. At one point, play briefly stopped as Wartburg first-year Katie Foster appeared to be injured after diving for the ball. However, play quickly resumed and Wartburg won 25-11.

Assistant Student Manager in charge of statistics, Shannon Baker (‘20) described how team attitude can affect success in a game.

“Not all games are played the same way by any team, whether or not there exists a particular rivalry,” Baker said. “There are a lot of factors that determine the relative ‘success’ of the game. Individual mindset and collective energy are just a couple of them.”

The third set proved to be the most equal in terms of scoring. Luther maintained a score of 12-12 until Wartburg scored two straight points to regain the lead. Wartburg won the final set 25-21.

Cote reflected on how the matches against Wartburg affected their ranking within the conference.

“We are 2-2 in conference,” Cote said. “We won’t know much about standings until it’s all over. Our conference is well-spread, talent-wise, and teams that shouldn’t lose have been losing. It’s whoever shows up to play.”