Make an informed vote for city elections

Alex Sekora ('18)

Decorah’s city elections are coming up fast on Tuesday, November 7, and I would encourage all Luther students to consider voting for Lorraine Borowski for mayor, Ross Hadley for city council at-large district, and Shirley Vermace for parks and recreation board. Through my community involvement at Luther and in the wider Decorah community, I have gotten to know these three candidates fairly well. They are all upstanding citizens and dedicated public servants who will put Decorah’s best interests first in their service to the city.

Borowski recently retired after working as the director of the Decorah Public Library for the past 16 years. She has also been attending city council meetings for the past 20 years to record them for use by the public. As part of her campaign, Borowski is looking to increase affordable housing in Decorah so that recent Luther graduates and young families can afford to live in Decorah. Borowski also wants to encourage new green initiatives in Decorah and has expressed support for the feasibility study for Decorah Power. Decorah Power will be a city-owned electrical utility if approved by the city council and the voters, therefore allowing Decorah to pursue more sustainable forms of electricity.

Hadley (‘95) is the owner of Amundson’s Clothing in downtown Decorah. He has served on various community boards in Decorah, and is a Luther College alum. In his campaign, Hadley has also expressed support for increasing affordable housing in Decorah, and specifically wants to address campus safety issues to make Luther College a safer place. Hadley also supports the feasibility study for Decorah Power and believes that Decorah could do even more to decrease carbon neutrality.

Shirley Vermace has served on the Parks and Recreation Board for the last three years. Vermace recognizes the unique tourist draws that are Decorah’s parks and woodlands and wants to preserve them for generations to come. Vermace has also expressed support for a community recreation center that would be available for all residents of Decorah.

City elections are important because the decisions these officeholders make affect our daily lives here at Luther and in Decorah. As Luther students, we are also Decorah residents and have the ability to register and vote in the city elections. Both of Luther’s wards vote at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, and the polls are open until 8 p.m. Please remember to make an informed vote on November 7.

Alex Sekora (‘18)