Luther College Chips

Democrats must unify and compromise to win elections

Geoffrey Dyck (‘18)

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






I am going to put this bluntly: Democrats got wrecked in the 2016 elections. We lost many elections not only on the national level, but on the state level as well. How is this so? There are many theories that exist as to why this is, but I have found that there are two things that kept Democrats from winning the most recent election: unity and turn out.

The 2016 elections were ugly, especially during the primaries. On the Republican side, we had 17 candidates with a wide array of ideologies while on the Democratic side, we had the epitome of the Democratic establishment in Hillary Clinton up against a self-proclaimed Democratic-Socialist in Bernie Sanders.

Many “experts” thought that Clinton and other Democrats in general were set to win in most elections. Clinton was supposed to win by a huge margin, and even sway voters in some regions that have been Republican strongholds for many years.

Yet, here we are with a Trump presidency. How did this happen?

There are more registered Democrats in this country than Republicans, so hypothetically speaking elections should not be a problem for Democrats, right? It is nice that there are many Democrats that are registered to vote, but if they do not go to the polls and stay at home on election day, then that voter registration form does not matter a whole lot.

While I was interning in D.C. I came across many Republicans and befriended a few of them. I met some who thought that Donald Trump was a horrible person and should never be president while at the same time, I met those who thought Trump was truly going to make America great again.

However, when I talked to them about who they voted for nationwide and statewide, most of them had the exact same answers. This is because they were unified. They understood that in order to get some of their ideologies enacted, they had to compromise some of their own beliefs and vote for someone they were not too enthusiastic about. To them, doing this was worth it because they thought that this self-sacrifice on their part was for the greater good.

Personally, I had many issues with Clinton. I even have issues with the Democratic Party platform. To date, I would say that I agree with about 80 percent of the Party Platform while disagreeing with the other 20 percent. Even though that 20 percent may infuriate me sometimes, I understand that I must compromise that in order to get that 80 percent that I want.

I encourage every self-proclaimed liberal on campus to be open to doing this, because if we do not, Republicans will keep beating us in elections.

Signed,
Geoffrey Dyck (‘18)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

Comments are closed.

The student news site of Luther College in Decorah, Iowa