Norse of the Week: McKenzie Carney (‘18)

Makenzie Carney  (‘18) in action at the Luther All American Meet, earlier this year.

Makenzie Carney (‘18) in action at the Luther All American Meet, earlier this year.

Nathan Riley (‘18) | Photo Bureau

Nathan Riley (‘18) | Photo Bureau

Ben Selcke, Sports Editor

Following her tenth place performance at the UW-La Crosse Tori Neubauer invitational on Oct. 14, McKenzie Carney (‘18) was named IIAC Runner of the Week. Carney was the best performing IIAC runner at the race.

Describe the race at UW-La Crosse.

Carney: The field was pretty big. It was the largest race of the season so far, so that was new, exciting, and a little nerve wracking, too. I placed 10th overall so that was fun. Everyone ran really well and a lot of people were really pleased with how they performed.

How do challenging course conditions affect how you race?

I really like courses like the Carlton course, which has a lot of hills. Our training at Luther [prepares us] so we can really work into hills. I think everyone is pretty confident on more challenging courses. I think that’s one strength of our team.

How do you prepare for a race?

I usually don’t think about [the race]. I do have this pair of socks that I wear for every race. I’m kind of superstitious in that way I guess. [As a team] we always put sparkles on our face, so that’s our little race ritual.

What are some personal goals and what are some team goals you have for the rest of the season?

We haven’t talked much with the whole team about our potential at conference but in talking to [Associate Head Coach] Yarrow Pasche and Anna Ryden (‘18), the other co-captain, we think that we can do really well as a team-maybe second. I think as long as we continue to progress we can do well. Personally, I want to go to nationals. Ideally it would be with the team. That would be a wonderful experience.

Looking back at your time at Luther is there a race that was particularly memorable?

Last spring at the first Augustana meet I broke eighteen minutes in the 5k and that was a pretty big deal for me. I think that race really gave me confidence in my own abilities and made me more excited about racing. Everyone likes to run fast.

What’s your favorite part about running at Luther?

Definitely the people. The people on the team are some of my best friends, and I’ve lived with other runners since sophomore year. They’re just wonderful people to be around.

What’s your favorite sports brand?

Mizuno. In high school I tried a few different shoes and Mizuno felt the best. Also, I hate Nike.