Volleyball seeded second in IIAC tournament

Anna Larson (‘19), Morgan Towne (‘20), and Sam Schroeder (‘21) prepare for the serve.

Charlie Mitchell (‘17) | Photo Bureau

Charlie Mitchell (‘17) | Photo Bureau

Jonathan Kuehner, Staff Writer

This Friday, the Women’s Volleyball team will play in the IIAC semifinals at the U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. If Luther wins the game, they will move on to the next round.
The Norse secured their placement in the IIAC tournament with a second-seed placement. This is the result of a conference record of 6-2 and an overall record of 16-9.

According to Katie Shabatura (‘18), the team is looking forward to the upcoming tournament.

“Everyone is amped up and ready to go,” Shabatura said. “I think we’re all on the same page and all want to win. I think this extra week of practice will prepare us well for that, so we’re excited to see where the season brings us.”

Other teams that are playing in this weekend’s tournament include Nebraska Wesleyan University, Coe College, Buena Vista University, University of Dubuque, and Wartburg College.

According to Assistant Coach Lindsey Weatherford, the tournament is full of tough teams.

“When it comes to conference matches, on any given day any team can go out and win,” Weatherford said. “It doesn’t matter if you are the sixth seed, it doesn’t matter if you’re the second or the first, everyone is out for blood.”

Nicki Ellingson (‘18) discussed the dynamics of the team and its effect on their gameplay.

“We’ve had a couple ups and downs, but we’ve definitely gone up overall,” Ellingson said. “We’ve been trying people in different positions, in different rotations, and lineups. Nothing is set in stone, but we definitely play well together.”

Junior Varsity, which is also finishing up their season, played their final match of their season at Loras College last Saturday. The JV team does not have as many opportunities to play other teams as the Varsity. It is composed primarily of first-years and sophomores. This team gives players the opportunity to practice and prepare for the varsity team in future seasons.

“Everyone wants to do well,” Head Volleyball Coach Danielle Kohut said. “That’s what they want out of the season so that’s what they’re going to get. It’s a joy to coach girls like that.”

While the JV season is finished, the players continue to be involved with the team.

“We have one of the best benches in the conference,” Kohut said. “They are very supportive of Varsity, and it’s really wonderful for them to get a chance to play and take home a trophy. They are the heart of our team and they get everything rolling.”

Luther team spirit is notable in the conference as being especially enthusiastic and supportive.

“The bench is absolutely wild,” Shabatura said. “We’ve had people record us before because we have all these crazy cheers. Having that extra edge on other teams is encouraging our the players.”

If successful in the semi finals, Luther will continue on to the Championship Match on Saturday, in the same location
“This time of year is what’s going to get you to the postseason, so everyone wants that automatic bid into the national tournament,” Weatherford said.