Men’s and women’s soccer fall in IIAC tournament finals

Bernardo Marotti (‘18) attempts to out sprint Loras player to the ball.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Cara Keith, Staff Writer

Men’s and women’s soccer teams played in the IIAC tournament semifinals on Nov. 1. The men’s team won against Nebraska Wesleyan University and the women’s team won against the University of Dubuque. Both teams then played Loras in the tournament finals on Nov. 4, and both lost their games.

Prior to the IIAC tournament, the men’s soccer team placed first in the IIAC and the women’s team placed sixth.

The men’s team won 2-0 against Nebraska Wesleyan University on Nov. 1. Brunno Colon (‘19) scored the first goal in the 58th minute of the game, assisted by Benjamin Keller (‘20). The second goal of the game was scored by Rafael Broseghini (‘19) in the 87th minute.

Head Men’s Soccer Coach Chris Garcia-Prats described what the win meant for the men’s soccer team.

“There’s a lot riding on playoff games in particular,” Garcia-Prats said. “Our guys played extremely well. Obviously to win is super important, but the most important thing is that we played well. We put ourselves 90 minutes away from going back to the national championship for the second year in a row. For us to get back to the national tournament would put us in Luther soccer history, doing something only one other Luther team has done.”

The women’s team won 4-3 against the University of Dubuque on Nov. 1. Eleanor Schmid (‘20) scored the first goal in the 26th minute, however assisted by McKenzie Lundquist (‘20). However, with 18 seconds left in the game, University of Dubuque Spartan Amanda Chlebek scored a goal which sent the game into overtime.

During the two overtime periods, neither team scored a goal so the game was sent into a shootout.

In the shootout, Marta Springer (‘19), Lundquist, and Halina Pyzdrowski (‘18) each made goals. After five shots from both teams, the shootout score was 3-3. Sommer Stevens (‘19) shot the sixth goal that lead the women’s soccer team to victory.

Claire Little (‘18) described how the women’s team secured their victory.

“I think we came out strong,” Little said. “We were able to possess the ball and move it around really well. Ellie Schmid (‘19) did amazing and got behind the back line and scored for us. Lauren Thormodsgard (‘18) saved our butts by making incredible saves and kept us in the shootout. It was just a good game. People played remarkably and stepped up to the challenge.”

On Nov. 4, the men’s soccer team played in the IIAC tournament championship against Loras College, and the game ended regulation in a 2-2 tie, bring it to a shoot out.

During the game, Keller scored a goal in the 18th minute of the game and then again in the 70th minute of the game.

Colon scored Luther’s only goal in the shootout while Loras scored 3 goals, causing Luther to lose the shootout 3-1.

The women’s soccer team lost 4-1 against Loras College in the IIAC tournament championship game.

Hanna Christopher (‘19) scored the only goal in the 24th minute of the game. Loras scored three of their goals within the first 22 minutes of the game and scored one more in the 66th minute of the game.

The women’s season ended with an overall record of 7-10-2, and the men’s season ended with an overall record of 11-4-5.