Ramona Nelson to retire

Professor of Accounting and Management Ramona Nelson will retire after the 2017-18 academic 
year.

Professor of Accounting and Management Ramona Nelson will retire after the 2017-18 academic year.

Elizabeth Hand ('21) | Chips

Elizabeth Hand ('21) | Chips

Elizabeth Hand and Katrina Meyer

Professor of Accounting and Management Ramona Nelson (‘75) will retire after the 2017 academic year. This is Nelson’s 28th year on staff at Luther.

Nelson worked in the accounting and management department at Luther since 1990 and served as the department head from 2010. Nelson explained her decision to step away from the department.

“It really is a whole thought process,” Nelson said. “No one will tell me when I should retire. I had to make this decision myself, so I did. I also wondered if I thought enough about having a purpose after teaching because I like the exhilaration of working with young people and seeing them develop.”

Nelson reflected on the relationships that she developed with students during her time at Luther and how valuable those interactions were.

Photo courtesy of luther.edu
Professor of Accounting and Management Ramona Nelson (‘75)

“They really do grow up,” Nelson said. “While I’m sitting in the commencement faculty section I think about when I first met each student, and I reflect on how far they have come with their confidence and taking responsibility for their own learning.”

Associate Professor of Economics Steve Holland said that he values what Nelson gave to the department over the years. According ot Holland, her continuing relationships with past students create connections that have resulted in job and internship opportunities for current students. Holland said the pipeline she has created has been very valuable to students graduating from the program.

“She is an excellent teacher and has developed important relationships with students over the years,” Holland said. “Students just love her and always keep in touch with her. They even stay at her house when they come to town.”