Listening to music without earbuds is disruptive

Lily Kime, A&E Editor

It’s supposedly springtime here at Luther, and what a time it is. It’s a time when students wear fewer layers of clothing in an attempt to convince Mother Nature that the weather should be warmer and less snowy (P.S.: your shorts are not expediting our path to 60-degree temperatures, only your chances of getting the flu). Along with warmer temperatures, I have noticed the soundtrack of spring from the chatter of squirrels to the call of birds. Or at least I would notice that if DJ Luther Campus would calm down with the playlist.

We have all walked across campus and suddenly found ourselves bombarded with sound. And not sound from some random activity taking place in Bentdahl Commons that forces us to awkwardly walk with our heads down as fast as we can in order to not engage with whatever is happening beyond the hedge. No, this sound is coming from one solitary student who is broadcasting their music for everyone in the vicinity to witness.

I’m not sure why some people do this, but I have considered a few different reasons. Reason #1: They cannot afford headphones. To this, all I can say is doubtful. You have a smartphone from which this sound is coming. If you have a functioning iPhone that is playing music, something tells me you can probably afford an $8 pair of earbuds. In fact, Apple gives a free pair of headphones with the purchase of a new iPhone.

Reason #2: You just want to brighten everyone’s day with your cool/fun/upbeat/some-other-positive-adjective music. Your taste in music is not universally endorsed. In fact, most people you cross paths with are probably thinking, “Their taste in music sucks” or something along those lines. There are a million different genres and subgenres of music because people like different things, and that’s wonderful. What that means for you, DJ Luther Campus, is that not everyone is enjoying your jams and, even better, that does not mean they have “bad taste in music.” What that does mean is that you are not brightening their day, which makes this argument invalid. Thanks anyway for the good intentions.

Reason #3: You’re just trying to start up a good ol’ dance party. If this is the case, that’s kinda fun, but annoying nonetheless. This is only valid if you have glow sticks in my book, and you are clearly ill-prepared to meet these standards at 8 a.m. on a Wednesday morning. Unless you are dance-party Mary Poppins and always have glow sticks, in which case this is tangential.

Reason #4: You can’t stand to listen to nature or the murmur of a crowd while walking across campus, so you have to supplement reality with a soundtrack. Not everyone is like that, and a great many of us enjoy listening to those sounds. I love hearing someone laugh from really far away on campus, especially when it’s a unique laugh. I adore the sounds of cardinals when I’m leaving Olson because it reminds me of my Grandpa’s clock that had bird sounds as the hourly chime. I enjoy being able to just be on campus and ready to greet people I know and love as I cross paths with them.

By listening to music out loud, you’re not only taking away your own opportunity for these moments, but you’re also taking them away from other students. Music is great, and I definitely listen to it while walking across campus to try to brighten my day when I’m in a terrible mood. I do not, however, listen to it out loud because nobody else needs to listen to Foxy Shazam along with me.

Music is wonderful and powerful and calming and fun, but so is existing in a place with all of your senses. It’s fine if you choose to listen to music on your commutes across campus if that’s what you enjoy, but it’s annoying of you to decide that that’s what everyone else needs in their day. So enjoy your jams, continue to think your taste in music is superior, and invest in a pair of earbuds please.