Women’s tennis falls to Carthage

Alli Harter (‘21) prepares for the serve.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Matthew Gleaves, Staff Writer

Luther Women’s Tennis faced Carthage College on Saturday, March 17 and lost, bringing Luther’s record to 9-4 for the season. During the spring season Women’s Tennis plays non-conference teams, Carthage being one of them.

The spring season is challenging in that the team needs to adapt to the different playing styles of non-conference teams. According to Jackie Cychosz (‘18), this is difficult yet beneficial.

“Playing people outside of our conference is very different than playing people in our conference,” Cychosz said. “We just have to adapt to different skill sets stuff that we’re not really used to. But these matches are really good for us; they push us and make us realize that we have to work that much harder.”

According to Head Men’s and Women’s Tennis Coach Adam Strand (‘04) the team performed well given the tough competition.

“I was extremely proud of the effort that our women showed on Saturday against another quality regional opponent,” Strand said. “Kelsey Kruse (‘20) and Devon Bourget (‘21) stepped into the top doubles spot for the first time against this type of competition and handled themselves very well. Cychosz and Anna Pearson (‘18) also played outstanding at number two doubles, notching a decisive win for us.”

The final score was 7-2, Carthage. Luther came through with a win in both singles and doubles. In singles, Stephanie Almquist (‘21) defeated Maria Salerno of Carthage with a score of 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-7). In doubles, Cychosz and Pearson took down Carthage’s Natalie Favia and Lauren Woznicki with a score of 8-1.

The team knew coming into this meet that it would be tough with that mindset, they were able to leave the meet knowing they tried their best. Cychosz confirmed this overall attitude.

“We went into the match thinking it was going to be a tough and we went into it thinking just play your hardest, play strong and that’s all you can really do,” Cychosz said. “I think coming out of it, we all felt pretty good about it. There were some people disappointed that the scores didn’t reflect how well they played, but I think that’s about it.”

Looking forward, the team is working on staying consistent on the court and paving a road towards winning qualifiers for nationals. Cychosz reiterated the need for consistency.

“At this current moment, we are just trying to stay competitive and stay strong, win a couple matches,” Cychosz said. “The ultimate goal is to win automatic qualifiers to get to nationals. Qualifiers is a tournament where  we get to play people in our conference and whoever wins qualifiers goes to nationals. That’s our ultimate goal.”

Luther will play their next three matches in Florida over spring break. They will face Calvin College on March 23, Kalamazoo College on March 25, and Loyola New Orleans on March 28.