Luther Ringers and Cantorei spring concert

Top: Logan Ardovino (‘18) and Emily Riley (‘20) 
Bottom: Jackie Simays (‘18) and Annie Holtz (‘18) sing in 
Cantorei’s spring concert.

Top: Logan Ardovino (‘18) and Emily Riley (‘20) Bottom: Jackie Simays (‘18) and Annie Holtz (‘18) sing in Cantorei’s spring concert.

Matthew Gleaves (‘19) | Chips

Matthew Gleaves (‘19) | Chips

Matthew Gleaves, Staff Writer

Luther Ringers and Cantorei performed their spring concert in the Noble Recital Hall on Friday, April 27. Luther Ringers and Cantorei join each spring for this concert and typically perform one song together.

The theme of the Ringer’s concert was “From Peril to Peace to Joy.”

Member of Luther Ringers Cassidy Woods (‘18) commented on the program’s emotional journey.

“‘From Peril to Peace to Joy’ is name of the first song and we’ve structured the performance around that,” Woods said. “It starts with kind of melancholic songs then it ends on a very high note.”

The concert featured a wide range of music, from a somber processional, to familiar church music, to pop classics. The Ringers began the concert amid the crowd before they performed “The Processional in E-Flat.” As the piece began, members of Ringers walked onto the stage to finish the piece. When the song ended, Cantorei filed into the NRH and stood around the hall to perform “The Canon of Praise” in conjunction with Ringers. After Cantorei exited the NRH, the Ringers performed “From Peril to Peace to Joy.”

After this piece, the performance began to take on a new tone. As each song was performed, the music became more uplifting. The ensemble performed familiar songs throughout the program including the hymn “It is Well with My Soul” and “Blackbird,” by The Beatles. With determined looks and content smiles, it seemed that the Ringers enjoyed their time performing.

Professor of Music, College Organist, and Conductor of Luther Ringers Gregory Peterson (‘83) believes that the members’ attitudes enhances both rehearsals and performances.

“It’s not an ensemble that you have to do in order to get credit for your music major,” Peterson said. “It’s simply a time of enrichment. Everyone who is there wants to be.”

Other than Christmas at Luther, the spring concert is Luther Ringers’ major performance of the year. Preparation for CAL and the spring concert differ: with CAL, the group performs one or two pieces and then has a break until the end of the program. For the spring concert, the ensemble plays several pieces in succession.

Following the Ringers’ performance, Cantorei took the stage. Assistant Professor of Education, Coordinator for Music Education, and Conductor of Cantorei Jill Wilson explained that there was no over-arching theme for their performance.

“The theme is kind of anti-theme because it’s all about variety this time around,” Wilson said. “We’ve got everything from the renaissance to romantic to contemporary and we’re doing some vocal jazz. We are also doing a South Sami yoik from people in Norway.”

For the energetic vocal jazz piece, titled “Voice Dance” Wilson counted the group in then stepped aside to allow the members some freedom of expression. In place of a conductor the group danced and swayed to keep time.

Cantorei President Jackie Simays (‘18) said the vocal jazz piece was exciting to perform.

“[‘Voice Dance’] is one of my personal favorite songs [to perform],” Simays said. “It’s a jazzy number and it’s really kind of a rocking and rolling piece. It’s all voice consonants.”

Although their programming was unique to both ensembles, Cantorei and Luther Ringers presented a concert that showcased a variety of musical styles and difficulty levels for their audience.