Luther deer do not need or appreciate your affections

Lily Kime, A&E Editor

Just the other day, I was at my desk in Olson trying to convince myself to stop working on the easy homework and do the stuff that actually needed to get done. I had my window open because spring breezes improve my mood an unreasonable amount and I apparently enjoy listening to that local fellow start his motorcycle, rev it a few times, and then turn it back off only to do it all again in 47 minutes.

While changing the font on my to-do list, which was definitely necessary, I heard a noise from outside. I turned to see two people standing in the open lot to the south of Olson and they seemed to be stalking something.

When one of them took a step closer to their target, I realized that they were attempting to get closer to four deer. When one of the deer noticed their approach, it cantered over to the other side of the lot to get away.

One of the people started to get more bold and walked faster, eventually jogging, to get closer to the deer. The result of this, of course, was that they scared all of them away so that they had no hopes of getting remotely near the animals. The group of deer eventually regrouped and walked far away from the two who had bothered them.

This could very well seem like a non-issue to a lot of people because it happens all of the time on our campus, but I see this frequent occurrence as a problem. It makes me angry that these two people decided to entertain themselves by bothering a group of deer who were just trying to eat some grass, find some shade, and live their lives.

I am  assuming you would be pretty bothered if someone came up to you in the cafeteria, started to pat your head while you were trying to eat, and claimed that it was all for their own entertainment.

I would expect to have to tell my 3-year-old nephew not to touch the deer because children do not  have the experience to understand the dangers that accompany close encounters with wild animals. If 20-year-olds need to be told not to touch a wild animal because it could hurt them, maybe a hoof to the face is for the better.

The only reason I have ever heard for someone feeling compelled to touch a deer on campus was, “I bet I can touch a deer,” like it is some high honor or a magic trick. Nope. It’s really not. Leave them alone.

This is not Disney and that deer is not Bambi. It does not want to be your friend. Heck, Bambi didn’t want to be any human’s friend either; Thumper was a rabbit. You are not a rabbit, nor do you live in a Disney film. Don’t touch the deer.

Not only does approaching the deer reveal you to be a fool, but it also shows a complete lack of respect for the nature that exists here on campus. Nature not want or need your attention.

The deer are existing on their own and do not rely on humans for any of their needs. They live here because the land sustains them and they have adapted at living near humans. That does not mean they rely on us or desire our attention in any way, let alone want to befriend us.

So the next time you are walking across campus and notice a group of deer munching on some grass or resting in the sun, take a moment to enjoy their presence on campus by observing from afar. If you do choose to run up and try to pet them, understand your behavior is that of an oblivious toddler and you should take a second to reflect on your decision-making process.