Luther needs more school spirit

Katrina Meyer, News Editor

I grew up a big fan of Notre Dame football. My uncles on both sides of the family, my dad, and one of my aunts went there, so growing up, Saturdays in the fall were all about Notre Dame football. I learned all the words to the fight song by the time I was in elementary school, and how to play the fight song on my cello. I remember going to games at least once a year in South Bend, Indiana with my dad, and by the time I was in high school, I typically went to three or four games a season. Any game we didn’t attend, we definitely watched on TV. Family gatherings and any other fall activities revolved around Notre Dame’s football schedule. There were a number of things I loved about Notre Dame football, besides the fun of watching a game. I loved the community and camaraderie between alumni, the pride everyone had in their school, and how the whole campus stopped and came together every weekend to watch football. Those were some of my first experiences on a college campus, and the atmosphere on game days is truly incredible. (Seriously, you should go to South Bend on game day sometime and see what I mean).

“Even if sporting events aren’t a campus-wide affair here, I feel like an important part of a college experience is being able to share in community and be proud of your school.”

– Katrina Meyer (‘19)

When it came time for me to apply to colleges, Notre Dame was not on the list, but I definitely had my experiences on campus in my mind when I made my decision. I feel like Luther is similar to Notre Dame in a lot of ways. There is an amazing community of alumni and a lot of pride in the school. But, there are some differences too. I can vaguely remember learning the Luther fight song and alma mater one of my first days on campus, but I have no recollection of how either song goes, or even what any of the lyrics are. I am reasonably confident that I have not heard either song sung or played in the three years that have gone by since we ‘learned’ them. As a senior, I am getting ready to leave campus in May, and it makes me sad to think that I likely will never learn my school’s fight song or alma mater. Even if sporting events aren’t a campus-wide affair here, I feel like an important part of a college experience is being able to share in community and be proud of your school. The Luther community is an amazing one, with other students, professors, and staff. It is part of the reason I came to Luther, and a big part of the reason that I love it here. But, I do think that having people know the fight song and alma mater would only make that community better. Even if we aren’t always proud of everything that goes on, I feel like it is important to have something more to bring our community together and show our appreciation for that community and for our school.