Candidate Forum

Melissa+O%27Rourke%2C+Tim+Knutson%2C+Michael+Bergan+%28%2784%29%2C+Kayla+Koether%2C+and+Professor+Emeritus+Jackie+Wilkie++discuss+issues+for+voters+ahead+of+the+Nov.+6+Midterm+elections.+
Melissa O'Rourke, Tim Knutson, Michael Bergan ('84), Kayla Koether, and Professor Emeritus Jackie Wilkie  discuss issues for voters ahead of the Nov. 6 Midterm elections.

Melissa O'Rourke, Tim Knutson, Michael Bergan ('84), Kayla Koether, and Professor Emeritus Jackie Wilkie discuss issues for voters ahead of the Nov. 6 Midterm elections.

Martin Donovan ('20) I Chips

Martin Donovan ('20) I Chips

Martin Donovan, Staff Writer

Luther hosted an open candidate forum in Valders 206 on Thursday, Oct. 4. The forum was sponsored by the Decorah chapter of the American Association of University Women, the Luther College Political Science Department, the Luther College Social Work Department, and the Center for Ethics and Public Engagement.

According to the President of the Decorah chapter of the AAUW Carol Hasvold (‘60), the forum was held on Luther’s campus so students could learn more about the candidates on the ballot.

“There are a lot of students here who are going to be registering to vote in this district, in this state, in this precinct,” Hasvold said. “[Luther students] are not very well acquainted with local candidates, so it only makes sense to have a venue where a lot of students are likely to come.”

The forum included two candidates running for Winneshiek County Recorder — Connie Askelson-Kuennen and Jayne Schultz — as well as Winneshiek County Board of Supervisors from District 2 — Floyd Ashbacher and Melissa O’Rourke. There was also a candidate running for the US House of Representatives, Libertarian Troy Hageman from Iowa District 1. The three candidates running for the Iowa House of Representatives include Democrat Tim Knutson from District 51, Democrat Kayla Koether from District 55, and incumbent Republican Michael Bergan also from District 55.

The race for District 55 was the focal point of the forum because this district encompasses Luther.