Paideia lecture explores DACA

Associate+Professor+of+Political+Science+Carly+Hayden+Foster%2C+Elena+Pinnow+%28%2721%29%2C+and+Maddy+Lomprey+%28%2721%29+answer+audience+questions.+

Paideia lecture explores DACA

Associate Professor of Political Science Carly Hayden Foster, Elena Pinnow ('21), and Maddy Lomprey ('21) answer audience questions.

Grace Onsrud (‘20) | Chips

Grace Onsrud (‘20) | Chips

Grace Onsrud (‘20) | Chips

Grace Onsrud, Staff Writer

Elena Pinnow (‘21), Maddy Lomprey (‘21), and Associate Professor of Political Science Carly Hayden Foster gave a Paideia Texts and Issues Lecture called “Dreaming With Our Eyes Open: Staying Informed About DACA” at 7 p.m. on Oct. 2 in the Center For Faith and Life Recital Hall.

About 60 people attended the lecture, which Pinnow, Lomprey, and Foster structured as a conversational debate on Deferred Action for Child Arrivals. Foster opened the lecture with a 15-minute introduction on the issues surrounding DACA and a brief history of immigration policy in the United States. Lomprey and Pinnow followed the introduction with a back and forth about whether or not the United States should keep DACA, with Pinnow arguing in support of DACA and Lomprey against. The lecture ended with a short Q&A and a reception with refreshments in the Qualley Lounge.

The lecture fit into the theme for the 2018-19 Paideia Texts and Issues Lecture series, “Journeys and Hospitalities.” Pinnow came up with idea of the DACA lecture when she was taking a class last year with Director of the Paideia Program and Associate Professor in Library and Information Studies Rebecca Sullivan (’84). Sullivan asked Pinnow if she would like to do a Paideia lecture last May and Pinnow asked Lomprey and Foster to participate. They chose to model the structure of the lecture on another Paideia Texts and Issues Lecture that took place last year about the Syrian Refugee Crisis. They wanted to take a less formal approach than a traditional debate.