Luther Women’s Soccer 4-2 going into Conference Tournament

Marta Springer (‘19) drives the ball against Wheaton College on Sept. 15. Luther lost 1-0, repeating the game they had against Wheaton in the 2017-18 season.

Kai Storvick (‘21) | Photo Bureau

Kai Storvick (‘21) | Photo Bureau

Kai Storvick (‘21) | Photo Bureau

Hope Gilbertson, Staff Writer

The Luther Women’s Soccer team lost 1-0 to Wartburg College on Oct. 13. The final score was 1-0, giving Luther a record of 3-2 in the American Rivers Conference and an overall record of 3-7-3.

Luther’s defense stopped eight Wartburg shots on goal throughout the game, only allowing one shot through during the 28th minute. The Norse were unable to respond. Of their nine shots, none were on target. In the end, the Norse lost a close game to their competitors.

While the game may not have ended in Luther’s favor, according to defensive center midfield player Lizzy DePrenger (‘20), the loss was not entirely negative.

“The game itself was a great learning experience about our team’s strengths and weaknesses,” DePrenger said. “We had a strong pressure and tried our best to find our forwards on the outsides.”

Luther’s Norse and Wartburg’s Knights are known to have a bit of a rivalry when it comes to athletic competition. According to current team manager Hannah Dodd (‘21), this rivalry does not affect the team too much.

“We like winning, so really there’s a rivalry between every team that stops us from winning,” Dodd said. “It’s always our goal to beat Wartburg, just like every other team.”

According to Head Women’s Soccer Coach Russ Schouweiler, the women have faced some exceptionally tough competition this year, but he values the difficulty of close games that only helped the players improve.

“One of the philosophies we have is to play as hard of competition as we can,” Schouweiler said. “You either come out and sneak some wins and it sets you up for success later on, or suffer some defeats but they make you stronger.”

According to Schouweiler, as much as the Norse want to win every game, that is not their overall goal.

Vicky Agromayor (‘19) | Photo Bureau
Hannah Dodd (‘21) kicks the ball in a game against Buena Vista on Sept. 29. Luther won 2-0.

“We only have one goal every year, and that’s just to play together as long as we can,” Schouweiler said. “There are so many things that are out of our control [like] referees, opposition, weather, and all of that. It makes it hard to have those tangible goals really hold up, but the one that can really do it is playing together as long as we can.”

Since this tough loss, the Norse have gone on to win their two most recent conference games. Dodd hopes to continue this streak as the season comes to an end.

“Our focus now is the AR [Conference] tournament and being the first team to win it,” Dodd said. “We’re undefeated at home in the conference, so we want to keep that record for sure.”

After the loss to Wartburg and their updated conference standing, the Norse were poised for a fourth place tie.

“After winning our past two games against Coe and Central, we hope to continue this great streak of success in our game against Dubuque on [Tuesday Oct. 23],” DePrenger said. “This will be our final conference game before the conference tournament and we are feeling confident and excited about the future.”

Luther secured a 1-0 victory over the University of Dubuque on Tuesday, Oct. 23. The winning goal came on an assist off a corner kick from Sommer Stevens (‘19) and a goal by Marta Springer (‘19) in the 12th minute of play. Goalie Kennedy Bergren (‘21) blocked a penalty kick from Dubuque, ensuring the shutout and the win. With the victory, the Norse locked their position as third place in the conference as they now have a 4-2 standing. The first round of the ARC Tournament will take place on Saturday, Oct. 27.