Luther Volleyball drops two matches before conference tournament

[LEFT TO RIGHT] Brooke Greenwood ('20), Emma Veum ('19), and Sam Sixta ('20) in a match against the University of Dubuque on Sept. 25.

Emily Turner ('19) | Photo Bureau

Emily Turner ('19) | Photo Bureau

Emily Kidwell and Martin Donovan

Luther Volleyball lost to Coe College on Oct. 23 in the Regents Center. They dropped three straight sets 25-22, 25-16, and 25-22. Luther also finished the regular season on Thurs Oct. 25, losing to Cornell College 3-1, bringing their overall season record to 14-16 and 5-4 in conference play.

Emma Veum (‘19) was the highest scoring Luther player against Coe recording 10 kills. In addition, Anna Larson (‘19) finished the first match with eight kills and 10 digs, while Samantha Sixta (‘20) has 23 assists.

According to Karissa Kime (‘20), this season has been a building year for Luther Volleyball’s future.

“This year was definitely a learning year for us as a team,” Kime said. “With a new coaching staff, we’ve made some really good changes to the Luther volleyball program in hopes of setting up future teams for success.”

Emily Turner (’19) | Photo Bureau
Katie Shabatura (’19), Grace Meyer (’22), Paige Yontz (’20), Emma Veum (’19), Karissa Kime (’19), and Anna Larson (’19) after a point during a 2-3 loss to the University of Dubuque on Sept. 25.

However, Head Volleyball Coach Brittany Sisk noted that the team needs to be better going into the American Rivers Conference tournament on Oct. 30.

“There’s definitely a lot of improvement that can happen after last Tuesday, and our team is well aware of that,” Sisk said.

After the match on Thursday against Cornell, Kime finished with 13 kills while Larson had 11 kills. Additionally, Sixta recorded 39 assists and Natalie Cote (‘19) and Emily Rinken (‘22) both had 13 digs.

Despite the two losses, Katie Shabatura (‘19) was optimistic about going into the conference tournament.

“As the season progresses, I believe we keep getting stronger and stronger as a team,” Shabatura said. “We’re becoming more adaptable to different factors in the game whether it is a line-up, offensive, or defensive change, and I think it’s going to pay off during the [American Rivers Conference]Tournament this coming week.”

Kime was also positive before the conference tournament, specifically noting the support from athletic training staff.

“Coach [Derek] Stork (’17) and Coach [Jeff] Jones are big believers that we can still get stronger during the season, which has proven to be to our advantage physically,” Kime said.

In preparation for the conference tournament the Luther players will continue to match the in-game intensity at practice.

“During practice we work on individual skills specific to each position and at the end of the practice we apply those new skills to competitive [intra]team games and play each other,” Shabatura said.

Paige Bartlett (‘21) thinks Sisk has been beneficial to the team this year.

“Our new head coach, Brittany Sisk, has transitioned effortlessly into our program and helped us all grow with our technical skills as well with our mental toughness,” Bartlett said.

Luther won their first match in the American Rivers Conference Tournament against Loras College 3-0 on Tues Oct. 30. The set scores were 25-18, 25-14, and 25-22.