Why voting matters to me

Andrea Hernandez Delgado, Staff Writer

“Voting matters” might have been one of the most used lines in the weeks leading up to election day, but the thing is, voting does matter. I have lived in Minnesota since I was five, and four years before I turned 18, I took my first government class.

My teacher was amazing, and he talked to me more than others about government issues and topics because, unlike my peers, I was very interested. One day, after talking to my professor about voting, I went home to ask my mom why she did not vote. She said she was not a citizen and therefore could not vote — and that I could not as well.

Later in years, I became more and more confused as to why I could not vote. I mean, even now, I know more about the government than most of my friends, I aspire to be a politician one day, I contribute to society as much as the next person, and I go to school with people who were taught most of the same things as me. So why was I being left out?

“So when the people I live with say they do not vote because they could care less about waiting in line to cast a ballot, or say voting does not affect them, you bet it bothers me, because, unlike them, I care.”

-Andrea Hernandez Delgado (‘22)

The fact is, millions of people similar to me are being left out, and there is nothing we can really do. We want to wait in a line to have our voice heard, we want the chance to contribute, and we want what honestly seems appropriate to us. But nobody can have everything, I assume.

Another fact that I must also acknowledge is that there are millions of others, trust me, millions, of people who can vote, but simply choose not to.

So when the people I live with say they do not vote because they couldn’t care less about waiting in line to cast a ballot, or say voting does not affect them, you bet it bothers me, because, unlike them, I care. I care what happens to the future of the country in which I grew up and hope to stay. Or, maybe, unlike me, they do not have loved ones terrified of being sent back to a country they do not even remember. There’s also a chance that they do not have family members who work over 12 hours a day and cannot provide for their family.

In a country that allows freedom of speech, I say all this because I expect that the next time you are out to not be like those in my dorm. Instead, I hope you use the rights that have been fought for you to use.

Andrea Hernandez Delgado (‘22)