Iowa sees historic midterm results

Cindy+Axne+%5BLEFT%5D+and+Abby+Finkenauer+%5BRIGHT%5D+were+the+first+female+candidates+in+Iowa%27s+history+to+be+elected+to+the+US+House+of+Representatives.+

Iowa sees historic midterm results

Cindy Axne [LEFT] and Abby Finkenauer [RIGHT] were the first female candidates in Iowa's history to be elected to the US House of Representatives.

Photo courtesy of ABC News

Photo courtesy of ABC News

Photo courtesy of ABC News

Andrea Hernandez Delgado, Staff Writer

On Nov. 6, millions of citizens across the U.S. went to vote in local and national elections. Iowa allowed early voting and mail-in ballots in the weeks leading up to the nationwide election day, which contributed to Winneshiek county’s 70.15 percent turnout rate. This is the highest turnout rate the county has ever seen, according to Decorah News.

In Decorah, citizens voted for their State Representative of District 55, which was a tight race between Republican incumbent Michael Bergan and Democrat opponent Kayla Koether, who are still waiting to have the final absentee ballots counted as of Tues., Nov. 13. Bergan leads the tally by only eight votes, and this count could still change the outcome. This district is often involved in close races that come down to absentee ballots and recounts.  Stephen Hadaway (‘21) believes student voting in a district that is historically close is important.

“I was shocked by the eight vote difference in the State House vote,” Hadaway said. “I’m disappointed that [Koether] is losing so far, and I doubt a recount will get her ahead, but it just shows you how voting can prevent wins from such a small disparity.”

Even if Koether wins this upcoming election, she will join the Democrats as the minority party in both houses of the Iowa Legislature. The new session, which is to start in January 2019, will have 54 Republicans and 46 Democrats in the state House. In the State Senate, it will have 32 Republicans and 18 Democrats according to the Des Moines Register.