Wrestling hosts three home meets

Wrestling hosts three home meets

Michael Suarez ('19 competed against the University of  Wisconsin-Stevens Point's James Borgen on  
Saturday, Dec. 1. Suarez lost this match in a 15-5 
decision.

Michael Suarez ('19 competed against the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point's James Borgen on Saturday, Dec. 1. Suarez lost this match in a 15-5 decision.

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol ('19) | Photo Bureau

Hope Gilbertson, Staff Writer

Luther Wrestling defeated the University of Dubuque at home with an overall team score of 36-3 on Thursday, Nov 29. Luther also hosted Cornell College and the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point on Saturday, Dec. 1. Luther beat Cornell 25-13, but lost to Stevens Point 31-8.

Against the University of Dubuque, Luther won nine out of the 10 matches. Logan Kennedy (‘21) defeated his opponent Danny Petrala with a pin in the first period. Both Michael Suarez (‘19) and Ira Kuehn (‘21) won their matches by technical fall, meaning they outscored their opponents by 15 points or more.

Kuehn was content with the team’s performance and believes the team improved as a whole.

“We were extremely happy with the way we performed against Dubuque,” Kuehn said. “Everybody was on the attack during the duration of their matches and we were all wrestling extremely aggressive. There was a lot of energy from the whole team throughout the entire dual. We were also able to take away many things that we need to work on.”

Annika Vande Krol (’19) | Photo Bureau
Connor Murphy (’19) beat Matt Berlin of the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in a 13-5 major decision on Saturday, Dec. 1.

Luther also won seven out of 10 matches against Cornell in their first duel on Saturday.

Kuehn pinned his opponent Bryce Oveson in the third period, while Connor Murphy (‘19) and Gilbert Valadez (‘19) won their matches with a major decision, scoring their team four points each.

In the match against Stevens Point, Valadez and Hunter Weaver (‘20) were the only Luther wrestlers to win. Valadez defeated Isaiah Baker with a technical fall at 6:30, while Weaver beat Jerry Lipke 7-3.

According to Valadez, the matches on Saturday were a great learning opportunity for the team.

“The two matches were a good test to see where we are at as a team,” Valadez said. “We had to deal with some unfavorable calls and matches that were close. But it was a good learning experience and something I feel we will be able to grow from. We would have liked to win both matchups, but we were happy with our effort and going 1-1 is something we can move forward with.”

Luther’s next match will be at home on Friday, Dec. 7 against the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. From there, the team will head to Cedar Falls, IA to compete in the University of Northern Iowa Open on Saturday, Dec. 8.

Valadez feels that he and his team are on the right track.

“[Our] hopes for the rest of the season are to keep working hard in the practice room and getting better where we need to get better at,” Valadez said. “Everyone knows what they need to work on, and if our guys buy in and attack that the way we need to, then I feel as if our ceiling is very high.”