Why not doing homework is not cool

Lyndsay Monsen, Head Copy Editor

I love making lists.

Chips Editor-in-Chief Shasa Sartin would probably tell you that this has something to do with my Taurus sun Something moon planet-orbiting whatever, but really I just love the satisfaction that comes with crossing a task off my list after completing it. This means that I have an incredibly organized planner that contains all of my school assignments, and, yes, I complete all of them.

Even if it means staying up a little late, or not watching that bad Christmas rom-com in my cluster that I so desperately want to make fun of with my friends, I take my academics seriously. And I get stuff done. So it’s incredibly frustrating to me to sit next to my peers in class who mock me for doing the reading or think it’s somehow cool that they don’t have their paper outline ready to turn in.

At a private institution like Luther, it is assumed that most students want to be here. We came here because we like the school and want to learn. So why do so many students think it’s cool to pretend like they don’t?

– Lyndsay Monsen (‘19)

“You actually did the reading?” I hear a lot. Yes, I did. My parents are paying too much for me to go to this school to not take my education seriously. Tuition for this year, as I’m sure every Chips reader is aware, is $43,500. If you were to take 36 credit hours over the course of the year, each 4-credit class would come out to $4,833.33. That means that every Tuesday/Thursday class period costs $179.01 and Monday/Wednesday/Friday class periods cost $120.83. That’s way too much money for me to not come to class and get the most out of it.

But this is more than the money. At a private institution like Luther, it is assumed that most students want to be here. We came here because we like the school and want to learn. So why do so many students think it’s cool to pretend like they don’t?

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely have my fair share of school-hating moments. Anyone who has me on Snapchat knows that I am a grade-A procrastinator, and opt for that Angry Orchard over a paper more often than not. But, at the end of the day, I complete all of my assignments and readings. At the end of the day, I care about my education.

I understand that there are many reasons why homework doesn’t get done, including mental health, time management, illness, or other factors. We don’t need to look further than this past week, with more than 10 hours of rehearsal in just a matter of days going into Christmas at Luther performances as a reason for why assignments are not completed. Therefore, I’m not talking about the occasional time that you don’t complete the reading or have to ask for an extension on a paper. I’m talking about berating your fellow students for when they do complete the reading and are excited about their education.

I’m tired of having to defend myself for caring about something that I’m supposed to care about.

Class discussion is so much more dynamic and interesting when students have obviously prepared for it. A main reason why I came to Luther was because of the class size and personal relationships I knew I would have with professors and classmates. It’s fine if you aren’t able to complete your reading because of reason x, y, or z, but don’t let that detract from my education and the simple joy I get from crossing things off of lists.