Seniors reflect on final seasons

Seniors reflect on final seasons

Senior women's soccer players are honored before their win over Buena Vista University on Sept. 29.

Annika Vande Krol (‘19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol (‘19) | Photo Bureau

Annika Vande Krol (‘19) | Photo Bureau

Olivia Schmidt, Staff Writer

With the fall athletic season coming to a close, many seniors have played their final game at Luther. As they put away their gear and hang up their uniforms, they reflect on their collegiate career in their respective sport.

Anna Larson (‘19) attributes her mental toughness to playing volleyball. However, Larson said that the mental components go beyond playing volleyball.

“Volleyball has repeatedly tested my ability to perform under pressure, against adversity, and as a selfless member of a team,” Anna Larson (‘19) said. “The best part about volleyball as a sport is that I’ve been able to grow and learn these life lessons alongside my teammates who can push me further than I’ve ever thought I could go. Competing in volleyball has given me confidence in my own abilities on and off the court.”

Emily Turner (‘19) | Photo Bureau
Anna Larson (‘19) and Katie Shabatura (‘19) shake hands with Cornell College players after a home loss on Oct. 25.

Women’s soccer defender Hannah Christopher (‘19) is looking forward to life after Luther and sports.

“It’s very bittersweet because I feel like I’m ready for that next step, to graduate, and re-enter the real world,” Christopher said. “I know Luther and soccer have prepared me well. That being said, I will miss such an important part of my life so much, and it hasn’t quite hit me yet that it’s over.”

Christopher, who was a part of the Women’s Soccer team for her four years at Luther, intends to coach soccer in the future. She believes her experiences playing soccer and being a senior on the team has prepared her for this path.

“Especially this last year, being a senior, a lot of leadership has come out of it,” Christopher said. “I think there is a big mental aspect along with a physical aspect. I hope I can pass that on to whoever I coach along with being able to do all the cool soccer skills.”

However, Natalie Cote (‘19), who finished in the top 10 in Luther volleyball’s history in career digs, does not see herself playing volleyball competitively in the future.

“My body is done with [volleyball],” Cote said. “I think maybe beach volleyball every now and then, but never to the same capacity as playing at a collegiate level.”

Whether it be the friendships, team traditions, national tournaments, the travel, infamous Dunning Springs ice baths, or just the sport itself, athletes will miss their sports.

Cote noted she will have a hard time adjusting to not being around teammates now that her final volleyball season has ended.

Photo courtesy of Luther College Men’s Soccer Facebook
Senior men’s soccer players ended their season in a 1-0 overtime loss to the University of Chicago on Nov. 18 in Chicago.

“I’ll miss having a group of girls to rely on,” Cote said. “That’s something I’ve always had with my teams, so to lose them at a pretty significant part of my life will be challenging.”

During her time on the Women’s Soccer team, Jesse Buttolph (‘19) enjoyed progressing at soccer while also developing friendships with both the women’s and men’s teams.

“Luther College Women’s Soccer allows for awesome women to hang out while improving their soccer skills,” Buttolph said. “I also feel that we have a close knit relationship with the men’s team since we travel with them to games, so not only are you gaining friendships with [Women’s Soccer], but also [Men’s Soccer].

After ending his Luther soccer career in the NCAA III Elite Eight match, Teo Jubé (‘19) said that current Luther athletes should remain invested in their respective teams. Jubé acknowledges that playing a collegiate sport is difficult and time consuming, but there are benefits of this commitment.

“It will go by so fast. Play every single game like it is your last,” Jubé said. “Put all you have into your sport, and I promise it’ll be worth it.”