INTRUDER FOLLOW-UP

INTRUDER FOLLOW-UP

A security camera at Miller Hall captures the suspect trying to enter the dorm.

Photo courtesy of Luther Safety and Security

Linh Do, Staff Writer

An adult male walked into women’s bathrooms and opened shower curtains on the women’s floors in Miller Hall Dec. 5. The man was already registered as a sex offender with the Iowa sex offender registry. After Luther Safety and Security and the Decorah Police Department investigated, he was identified and arrested by Police the same day.

At 9:02 a.m. on Dec. 5, Luther Safety and Security sent out a campus-wide security alert with an attached photo of the perpetrator. The email indicated that Luther Safety and Security and the Decorah Police Department were investigating the incident. Around 2:30 p.m., an update was sent out explaining that the suspect left the building shortly after the first sighting occurred. The same email said that the college had been interviewing witnesses to gather information, and Residence Life and Security were making extra rounds through the residence halls. Throughout the day, Miller’s resident assistants sent out emails telling students to lock doors and to not let unknown people into buildings, and reminded students that those who were in need of supporting resources on campus could contact the Student Life Office or Counseling Services.

Timeline courtesy of Venngage
A man intruded into women’s bathrooms in Miller on Dec. 5, 2018, and this is a timeline of the events.

At 6:58 p.m., there was another email notifying campus that the suspect, who was not a student or employee at Luther, had been taken into custody in the Winneshiek County Jail. The last email on Jan. 16 announced that the person of interest, Victor Hasvold had been arrested and charged with invasion of privacy, trespassing, and an Iowa Sex Offender Registry violation.

According to Director of Safety and Security Bob Harri the initial report of the man in the women’s showers was made by a student to an RA on the eighth floor. The RA then relayed the report to the security officer on duty, who responded immediately to the last known sighting of the subject.

Harri confirmed that Luther Safety and Security responded immediately after receiving the first call about the incident.

“On December 5, 2018, at 7:53 [a.m.], Luther Safety and Security received a call about a male seen opening shower curtains in the women’s bathrooms of Miller Hall,” Harri said. “The Luther security officer, who responded immediately, arrived at Miller Hall at 7:58 [a.m.]. He received a second call at 7:59 [a.m.] about another similar incident in Miller Hall.” 

According to Harri, the investigation also included multiple interviews and the review of security camera footage. The investigation concluded that the person of interest was let in by a student early that morning around 6:30 a.m., before the incidents occurred shortly after 7 a.m.

According to Interim Dieseth Hall Manager Lukas Phillips (‘18), the RAs are instructed to call on the security and the Hall Directors in situations like these.

“In this particular case, because of the magnitude of it, it sorts of jumps direct to our Director of Res Life and the Director of Security,” Phillips said. “So Bob Harri and Kris Franzen both [got] the news of this and took the reign right away and then got the local Police Department too. It was pretty [big] because of the level of concern that arose.”

Phillips also addressed that the Res Life staff were constantly updating information through their group chat, and the RAs were encouraged to actively update residents and notify them via email to practice safety methods.

Katherine Nikcevich (’20), appreciated the college’s effort to constantly keep the students updated on the incident via emails and texts. However, Nikcevich hopes that the college will invest in and improve the security’s technology and devices.

“Having one emergency call pole [over] by the library [parking] lot away from most of the dorm’s buildings [is] just not acceptable to me,” Nikcevich said. “I think there need to be more stations for emergency help…It would be nice to know how [the person] got into the building. It would be nice to have better cameras on campus above resident dorms.”