Caring is cool

Cara Keith, Features Editor

Sometimes I feel like nobody cares about anything at all. Dramatic, I know.

Even at Luther, where it appears that everyone is chasing their dream of making an outstanding contribution to the field of chemistry or becoming a world-renowned opera singer or writing the next great American novel, most students complete their studies with an air of nonchalance that suggests they couldn’t care less about the work they complete on the road to graduation.

In class, we brag about how we didn’t start our ten page research papers until the night before they were due or about how we pulled an all-nighter to study for a test we’ve known about for the entire semester. I fall into the habit of saying these weird flexes all the time and have conversations in class with students who do the same.

This is what the educational culture has been like for as long as I can remember, going all the way back to my middle school years. The idea that we should put as little effort into our schoolwork as possible, or at least make it seem this way, is ingrained within us and I honestly don’t know why. I’ve also seen people display this same attitude toward their extracurriculars. Anyone who has has more than three real conversations with me probably knows how much I love working at Chips. My friends know that the job can be tough and often takes up a good chunk of my time and so the question I always get is, “Why are you still working there?” This question baffles me. Am I not supposed to put extra time into the things I truly enjoy doing? Why is it seen as a bad thing that I’m invested in what I do and want to continue doing it even if it isn’t the most convenient option?

This same attitude comes in a variety of different formats: “Why are you still on the soccer team if it’s so time consuming?” or “Why are you still participating in all of those music ensembles if they take up so much of your weekdays?” The answer to all of these questions is that we all have a passion for something, whether it’s painting, playing sports, testing lab samples, or engaging in political discussions.

Instead of hiding our passions behind a layer of nonchalance, we should be proud of what we enjoy doing and showcase this passion whenever we can. It sounds kind of cheesy, but it’s true.

It’s a rare and refreshing occurence when you meet someone who so clearly displays their passions for everyone to see and emphatically puts those passions into practice. We’re all studying what we’re studying because somewhere along the road to get here, we decided that this is what we LOVE to do — at least hopefully that’s the case.

Share this love with people. Participate in things that make you proud. Caring is cool, so get out there and do ya thang.

Opinions expressed in columns and letters are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Chips or organizations whith which the author(s) are associated.