Softball’s success against St. Mary’s

Softball’s success against St. Mary’s

Blake Banowetz (‘19) prepares to bat at a game against Central College on May 1, 2018.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Hope Gilbertson, Staff Writer

Luther’s Softball Team played their first double-header of the season against St. Mary’s University on Friday, March 15. After a long break without games due to weather, the Norse pulled off two wins against the Cardinals. Luther won their first game 5-0 and the second game 3-2.

Abby Gehringer (‘20) said the team has been using this time from recently canceled games to prepare for St. Mary’s, a team they have not played yet this season.

“It’s been two weeks since we last played so it’s exciting to take the field again,” Gehringer said before the game day. “We’re expecting the game speed to be a little different than what we’re used to, so we’ve been training all week in preparation.”

In the first game, Paige Timmerman (‘20), Gehringer and Elsa Skeie (‘21) drove in runs in the first inning, followed by Sierra Freeland (‘21) who drove in the last run in the seventh that allowed Annie See (‘20), Timmerman, Blake Banowetz (‘19), Megan Elford (‘22), and Gehringer to score. The fifth run of the game was scored due to an infield error by St. Mary’s. Pitcher Samantha Bratland (‘19) tossed her 21st career shutout during the first game. Within the seven innings of this game, she only allowed two hits. Freeland and Banowetz both were two-for-four in hits during this game.

Following the momentum from the first game’s win, the team came back with a second defeat over St. Mary’s. Pitcher Kendra Cooper (‘22) secured her first collegiate win, only allowing two runs on three hits. The Norse took a 2-0 lead after a sac fly by Skeie and a double by Gehringer. Runs were scored by Banowetz and See.

The Norse were able to keep the Cardinals at bay until the top of the fifth inning, where the Cardinals scored two runs, tying up the game. In the bottom of the sixth inning, the team worked together to allow Emily Fell (‘22) to score the game winning drive.

Madie Miller (‘19) | Photo Bureau
Courtney Cooper (‘21) plays on the field in a game against Nebraska Wesleyan on April 22, 2018.

Associate Head Coach Teri Olson (‘05) felt that the team, especially Kendra Cooper, overcame challenges during the games.

“There are always challenges, but [one] of the really exciting things that happened was Kendra Cooper game two,” Olson said. “She is a [first-year] pitcher and she pitched a complete game and went three-for-three at the plate. She just broke out during game two on Friday and that was really really exciting. She needed that, and I think it will propel her forward into spring break.”

In the bottom of the sixth inning of game two, Kendra Cooper and Addy Pender (‘19) hit back-to-back singles. Pender has noticed how the team has already grown this year.

“We know that we still have a lot of work to do as the season goes on, but we are pretty proud of where we have come from last year because we lost a lot of seniors,” Pender said. “It was a big transition starting on day one with a young squad, but I think everyone has come together and we know that we have to continue to work on it.”

Madie Miller (‘19) | Photo Bureau
Annie See (‘20) takes a swing during a game against Nebraska Wesleyan on April 22, 2018.

Following their wins this past Friday against St. Mary’s, the team will travel to Florida over spring break to play 10 games on outdoor fields. Looking forward to the rest of the season, Courtney Cooper (‘21) says the team plans to take it one step at a time.

“Our first goal is to have a good week down in Florida, [as] that’s really when we get into the heart of our season,” Courtney Cooper said. “Our next goal is to do well in our conference games, and try to get to our conference tournament. Then at the end of the [A-R-C] tournament, [our goal is to] get to the NCAA tournament, and be successful there.”