Comedy Sportz kicks off homecoming events

Comedy+Sportz+players+performing+in+Marty%27s.+

Comedy Sportz players performing in Marty's.

Kieran Benson ('23)

Kieran Benson ('23)

Kieran Benson ('23)

On Sept. 27, ComedySportz performed in Marty’s to kick off Luther’s 2019 homecoming celebration. The performance was organized by the Student Activity Council’s homecoming committee.

ComedySportz is an improvisational comedy group based in multiple cities across the United States. Their performances are tailored to appeal to each the audience.

The structure of performances are similar to a typical sports game. In these two teams, the “players” compete in various improv games and the audience’s applause awards the winner of each round. Whoever wins the most rounds at the end of the game, wins the match.

Delaney Buisker (‘23) expressed her excitement to see the performance for the second time.

“I saw ComedySportz in Chicago and it was really fun,” Buisker said. “I really enjoyed myself, so I hope that this one will be just as fun.”

The performers, or “players,” created Luther-based activities and jokes. One of them was the “College Handbook,” which consisted of the players saying one word of a sentence in the “rule book” on a certain topic to form a complete sentence.

ComedySportz performers were interactive. They called up three volunteers throughout the night. Maddie Chesky (‘22) was one of the volunteers.

“I thought it was really funny and I enjoyed helping them in one of the skits,” Chesky said.

ComedySportz was chosen to start off the homecoming season because of the interactive nature of the show. Elise Carlson (‘20) talks about how the homecoming committee thought that this would be the perfect activity to prepare students for the homecoming weekend.

“There’s a lot of work that goes into bringing events on campus, but we have a great support system to help out with SAC,” Carlson said.  “We decided to bring ComedySportz because we thought it would be a great way to get students involved and pumped for Homecoming week.”

SAC homecoming chairs Viola Niyizigama (‘20) and Carlson, have been working with the rest of the committee members to plan a successful homecoming for current students and alumni.

“Homecoming brings together both current students and alumni,” Niyizigama said. “Many organizations on campus will be hosting events for alumni that were members of their organization and help current students connect and network.”

The homecoming committee planned a multitude of events including a Promo Night in the cafeteria on Oct. 1,  an open mic night on the Oct. 2, and a jazz night on the Oct. 4. The annual homecoming parade will take place downtown at 10am on Oct.

“Planning the homecoming events was definitely a team effort,” Niyizigama said. “Much gratitude goes to the director of SAC, Director of Student Activities and the Union Trish Neubauer; SAC president, Herik Hernandez (‘20); and our committee members.”