Steven and Yarrow Pasche names new Directors of Track and Field

Steve+Pasche+directs+students+at+a+meet+at+St.+Mary%27s+University+in+2018.+

Steve Pasche directs students at a meet at St. Mary's University in 2018.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau

Head Women’s Cross Country Coach Yarrow Pasche and Head Men’s Cross Country Coach Steve Pasche will be taking over as Directors of both Men’s and Women’s Track and Field.    They will be filling the positions after the resignation of former track and field Head Coach Steven Fleagle.  Athletic Director and Head Softball Coach Renae Hartl is excited about the transition.

“Both Coach Steve Pasche and Coach Yarrow Pasche have given Luther College 14 years of fantastic service, and to have successful, motivated people like them experience an elevation in responsibility with a promotion like this is wonderful for the student-athletes and their colleagues at our institution,” Hartl said.

Track and field athlete Sarah Holtz (‘20) commented on the Pasches’ long period of dedication to the track and field and cross country programs.  She believes they are fit to fill these roles. 

“I think they’re good for this position because they have a lot of experience, both alone and together,” Holtz said.  “Because they’ve coached at Luther for many years, they know the program. They know our mentality and what we’re trying to do, but this doesn’t mean they’re stuck in their ways.  I think they’ll bring a fresh perspective but from an old lens.”

Cross country captain Collin Kern (‘20) believes that the Pasches will bring stability and a positive perspective to the track and field program, just as they did to the cross country program. 

“They’ve just been incredibly loyal to Luther and to distance running here, and I think that’s going to translate over to the track and field program as well,” Kern said.  “They’re committed to Luther and to Decorah, and they’ll offer a lot of consistency to student athletes here. Along with that, in my experience, they have emphasized a holistic approach to running in particular, and I think they’ll translate that over to track and field too.”

The Pasches are married and have been working together for 17 years.  They coached together at Williams College before coming to Luther, where they have been working since 2004.  During their tenure at Luther, Steve has been named Iowa Conference Coach of the Year four times, Yarrow is a three time Iowa Conference Coach of the Year and a two time Regional Coach of the Year.  Yarrow Pasche explains how their coaching styles complement each other. 

“We have our differences as far as how, philosophically, we see things, but we have a lot of commonalities and a common vision which has been developed over years and years,” Yarrow Pasche said.  “That’s a long time to work with anybody. When it’s your partner, that enhances your ability to collaborate in a really productive way and also build on each other’s strengths.”

Specific goals for the season expressed by the Pasches  includes increased unity between teams and cultivating a good experience for the student athletes.  Yarrow Pasche wants to bring all four teams closer together to build a stronger overall program.

“I think building momentum is the most important thing,” Yarrow Pasche said.  “We have some work to do to unite the entire team and get us all going in the same direction, which I think will be facilitated a lot more easily with the new structure.  That structure will serve to unite all four programs: men’s and women’s cross country and men’s and women’s track.”

The holistic approach to running is important to the Pasches.  Steve Pasche emphasized that each individual is important to creating a unified team. 

“A top priority is thinking about our current student athletes and trying the best we can to provide them a great experience holistically, and also helping them reach their personal aspirations and accomplishments that they have in track and field,” said Steve Pasche.

Photo courtesy of Photo Bureau
Yarrow Pasche has been a Luther Cross Country Coach since 2004.

Annalise Meyer (’23)
Steve Pasche coaches a group of cross country athletes.