Guest Recital: Tyler Hendrickson and Jennica Monnier

Tyler Hendrickson ('08) returned to Luther on Oct.1, for his guest recital.

Photo courtesy of the Suzuki Association of the Americas

On Oct. 1 Luther’s Music Department presented a guest artist recital titled “Best of the Rest: Forgotten Gems from the 1919 Berkshire Festival Competition”. The performance featured Luther alumnus Tyler Hendrickson (‘08) on the viola, and Jennica Monnier on piano.

The performance consisted of several pieces by various artists. Viola Sonata Op.73 by Joseph Ryelandt was the first piece played. Followed by William Henry Reed’s Rhapsody for Viola and Piano. They ended with Arthur Foote’s Sonata for Viola and Piano Op 78a. This included the Alegro appassionato, Andantino con moto, and Allegro comodo: con moto.

Kale Altman (‘23), said that he enjoyed the performance considering it was his first time hearing the viola.

“I enjoyed his musicality and the professionalism with which he performed,” Altman said. “I had never really listened to a viola performance before, so it was cool for me to hear that.”

Hendrickson grew up in Iowa and has played for audiences across the U.S. and Europe after he graduated from Luther. He was the founding violist for the Franziska Trio and the Spiritoso String Quartet. Hendrickson was also a member of the Wichita Symphony Orchesra, the LaCrosse Symphony Orchestra, and the Center for New Music.

A product of the Preucil School of Music, Hendrickson holds a Masters of Music from Wichita State University, and a Doctor of Music Arts from the University of Iowa. He was a fellowship recipient at the Aspen Music Festival. Currently Hendrickson is an instructor at the Suzuki Association of the Americas in Iowa City, Iowa.

Monnier, a native of Iowa as well, completed her undergraduate study at the University of Northern Iowa under Dmitri Vorobiev and completed her graduate-level work at the University of Iowa under Uriel Tsachor. Her study has focused on Hungarian folk music, particularly Franz Lizst and Bela Bartok. Monnier has performed in  Brazil with the Northern Iowa Symphony Orchestra, in Spain with the UNI Varsity Men’s Glee Club, and studied music in Germany. She won the People’s Choice Award at the UNI Performance Competition Finals in 2014 and placed third in the UNI Concert Competition Finals in 2013.

Monnier is the staff accompanist at Kirkwood Community College and principal keyboardist of the Southeastern Iowa Symphony Orchestra. Along with being an active collaborator, Monnier also teaches and adjudicates area festivals. One of her most recent projects explores new music by women composers.

Assistant Professor of Music Philip Borter believes that guest recitals are a good way for alumni to connect with current students.

“I believe that everyone feels strongly about supporting those who graduated to come back and share their music,” Borter said.“The community hopes it will be very inspiring for the students.”

Altman also believes that guest recitals are a good way to show students that they have continuous support from the institution, even after they graduate.

“I think it’s important because we’re all trying to learn the language of music and so it’s good for us to just immerse ourselves in it,” Altman said. “Also just to watch how professionals perform, so that one day, if we get to that level in our lives, we’ve seen and know what that’s like.”

Hendrickson currently teaches with Preucil School of Music in Iowa city and viola and violin at Schultz Strings in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Zachariah Cramer (’23)
Tyler Hendrickson (’08) and Jennica Monnier perform “Best of the rest. Forgotten Gens from the 1919 Berkshire Festival Competition” in Jenson Noble