SPIN’s cabaret dives into the world of “FLOPS”

SPIN's musical cabaret

SPIN's musical cabaret "FLOPS" was put on in the Jewel Theatre.

Anna Fritz ('22) Chips

Anna Fritz ('22) Chips

Anna Fritz ('22) Chips

On Oct. 11, SPIN theatre hosted their annual musical cabaret in Jewel Theatre. The show was titled “FLOPS” because the show featured songs from unsuccessful Broadway musicals.

The production featured over 50 students who performed a variety of roles. Some of the songs that were featured in the cabaret include “Tarzan,” “13th,” “9 to 5,” “American Psycho,” “Lord of the Rings,” and “Bonnie and Clyde.”  One of the most popular scenes, according to Carol Thuening, was a feature from the “Lord of the Rings” musical, where Gollum made an appearance.

The idea for the show “FLOPS” came from managing director Claire Twedt’s (‘21) research project which examined the reasons behind the failures of various Broadway productions. 

Planning for the show started last year and continued into the summer, with participants planning the theme and the songs they would use. SPIN also worked with other groups to bring the show together, such as, Orchesis who helped with the choreography for some of the scenes and Acapella group Beautiful Mess who contributed a musical performance during the show. The two MCs for the show came from the Top Banana improv troupe, a comedy-based improv group on campus. 

Grace Huber (‘20) said that in planning for performances like the cabaret, a lot of the roles of members intersect. 

“The directors are all part of the SPIN board, but that is in addition to their other roles [in the show] as well.” Huber said.

Jack Jorgensen (‘22), the musical director for the show says his favorite part of preparing for the show is learning all the new dance routines and songs, especially the “Tarzan” number at the end of the show.

“It’s been a great opportunity to work with everybody,” Jorgensen said. “Most people know the Phil Collins classic. The performers are going to have an opportunity to learn cool little dance moves, and it’s just going to be an awesome closing number for the show.” 

Carol Thuening, expressed appreciation for the hard work put into developing the show. 

“I thought it was wonderful,” Thuening said. “It was clear that these kids worked really hard to put this together.”

Huber said that her favorite part of the show is the “Charlie Brown” musical number. 

“I was blown away by Lauren Schroeder (‘23). She does a scene with Indigo O’Connor Fish (‘22) and it’s a scene from ‘You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown’ and she singing to the pianist,” Huber said. “It was just hilarious.”

SPIN theatre is a student-run organization advised by Professor of Theatre Jeff Dintaman. The organization provides opportunities to students who are interested in theatrical performances, productions, and technical activities associated with theatre, regardless of one’s major. 

Some of their past productions include; “The Man Who Couldn’t Dance” by Jason Katims (2019), “Circle Mirror Transformation” by Annie Baker (2017), and “God of Carnage” by Yasmina Reza (2015).

“I thought it was wonderful. It was clear that these kids worked really hard to put this together.””

— Carol Thuening

Anna Fritz (’22) Chips
Indigo O’ Connor Fish (’22) performs “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” at the musical cabaret.

Anna Fritz (’22) Chips
Jacey Eckholm (’23) performs in the musical cabaret.