Luther College Rocks Out With Holding Hemlock and YAM HAUS

Photo taken on the stage by YAM HAUS drummer during the concert. Featured in the photo are members Lars Pruitt, Zach Beinlich ,and Jake Felstow. Photo courtesy of YAM HAUS Instagram: @yamhaus

On Saturday, February 25, the CFL Main Hall was rocked with the first ever winter concert at Luther. Student Activities Council (SAC) hosted Holding Hemlock and Yam Haus for a two hour show. This was the first stop for Yam Haus on their first tour, with Holding Hemlock as their opener. SAC Concert Co-Chair Quinn Lohse (‘25) spoke on the importance of a winter concert. 

“We thought that the winter months can be kind of ‘blah’, especially when people come back from break,”  Lohse said. “[The concert is] just something different, we get into these routines and just need something exciting and fun.”

The opener, Holding Hemlock, consists of three students who found each other here at Luther. Jack Kates (‘23) plays bass, Micah Miller (‘23) on drums, and Spencer Cameron as lead singer. The band, usually known for their cover pieces, performed all original works from their newly released self-titled album. Katesspoke on what it meant for them to be able to play for Luther and what they hope fans experience.

“I think especially here, I don’t really see it as fans but our friends,”  Kates said. “I hope they like it and I hope they have fun.”

The energy was high when it came to the performance of Holding Hemlock’s new song, set to be released sometime in the summer. Before their summer release, they are planning on continuing their performance run. 

“We’ve also been making some new stuff, and hoping to play one new song at the concert,”  Miller said. “We’ve got another show on March 3, 8 p.m. at Pulpit Rock.” 

On Saturday night several fans were in attendance for the mosh-pit style performance. Many chose to crowd around the stage as others chose to hang back and break out the occasional dance move. First year Ellie Greseth (‘26) was in attendance for the performance and commented on how energetic the space felt.

“Overall I thought Yam Haus was such a blast,” Greseth said. “The band was so energetic and got everyone dancing. I think a winter concert is important because it gives students the opportunity to take a break from the craziness of the second semester.”

SAC’s concert committee will be  back in action on March 11 for the annual spring concert. The performance will be held in the main gym of the Regents Center featuring BBNO$. For tickets, visit Luther College Ticket Offices either in-person or online.