The end of an era

The+senior+editorial+staff+is+composed+of+%5BLEFT+TO+RIGHT%2C+TOP+TO+BOTTOM%5D+Lyndsay+Monsen+%28%E2%80%9819%29%2C+Shasa+Sartin+%28%E2%80%9819%29%2C+Elyse+Grothaus+%28%E2%80%9819%29%2C+Katrina+Meyer+%28%E2%80%9819%29%2C+Ana+L%C3%B3pez+%28%E2%80%9819%29%2C+and+Martel+DenHartog+%28%E2%80%9819%29.+

The end of an era

The senior editorial staff is composed of [LEFT TO RIGHT, TOP TO BOTTOM] Lyndsay Monsen (‘19), Shasa Sartin (‘19), Elyse Grothaus (‘19), Katrina Meyer (‘19), Ana López (‘19), and Martel DenHartog (‘19).

Cara Keith (‘21)| Chips

Cara Keith (‘21)| Chips

Cara Keith (‘21)| Chips

Here it is. The last issue of the year. And for six members of the editing staff — Shasa Sartin (‘19), Ana López (‘19), Katrina Meyer (‘19), Elyse Grothaus (‘19), Martel DenHartog (‘19), and Lyndsay Monsen (‘19) — this is our last Chips issue ever. Together, the six of us have held 20 positions at this paper over the past four years. (This isn’t even counting the incredible Lily Kime (‘19), who is student teaching this semester). We have spent countless hours in the office deciding what stories we should run, agonizing over word choice, and clicking away at InDesign.

We have also learned more lessons than we ever could have imagined at this job. Because of this, we would like to take a moment to appreciate the important role that this paper plays on campus, as well as the crucial job that we have had to bring it to print each week. So, here are some of our main takeaways.

First and foremost, the job must always get done. No matter what, our paper will be published on Thursday. This is the tradition we inherited, and it is no small feat. The web of people who work together to compile 12 pages of content is incredibly fragile and intertwined. Through this organization, we have learned that there is never an excuse to not get it done and that if someone dropped the ball, someone else better be there to pick it up.

On a similar note, attention to detail matters. We all learned very quickly during our first semester at Chips that people get mad if their name is spelled wrong or if any fact in a story is incorrect. And they have every right to be! It is our responsibility as the school newspaper to be good journalists. At the same time: Thank you to everyone who understands that we are a student publication. We are learning every week. We commit to excellence, but we are people who sometimes make mistakes.

This paragraph is literally just to take up space. Because, when nobody sends us opinion pieces, it is up to us to fill the page. (See above paragraph about someone having to pick up dropped balls). On a more serious note, the opinion section of this paper is an incredible resource to start campus-wide conversations. More people should utilize it!

One of the greatest parts of this job is the community that we create. Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays in the office are chaotic and stressful, but they are also so much fun. Chips pulls people from every corner of campus to create a beautifully diverse staff. We all agree that many of our work relationships would never have happened without production running into the wee hours of the morning. This is the time that all of our secrets come out.

Finally, we would like to thank every person who has picked up the paper in the past four years. You are the reason that we exist. You keep us accountable, spread our stories, and challenge us to always improve. Without readers, a paper is pointless, and Chips is fortunate to have a strong readership.

It is time for the seven of us to move on, but the impact that this publication has had on our lives and our Luther experience will stay with us forever. We wish the best of luck to the next generation of Chipsters and look forward to seeing how they “let the chips fall where they may” for years to come.

Elyse Grothaus (‘19)

Katrina Meyer (‘19)

Lyndsay Monsen (‘19)

Martel DenHartog (‘19)

Shasa Sartin (‘19)

Ana López (‘19)

Lily Kime (‘19)

Opinions expressed in columns and letters are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Chips or organizations whith which the author(s) are associated.