All-College Lunch Featuring Food Trucks

A line of community members wait to buy lunch from food trucks. Photo by Serenity Figueroa

On Saturday, September 25, Luther hosted the “All-College Lunch”, with food trucks featuring Filipino cuisine, BBQ, and ice cream from the Sugar Bowl. This event was featured as a part of the Luther College 2022 Family Weekend. Students were able to exchange a Caf swipe for a voucher of $10 to purchase items. By 11:30 a.m., students were seen in long lines in front of the Union waiting for their food. 

Previously, Luther hosted an All-College picnic during Family Weekend to bring the Luther community together. Since the pandemic, the Luther community has not been able to get together in this way. Dining Services along with Director of Parent and Family Relations and Special Projects Mariah Smith (‘95) helped organize the event. General manager of Dining Services Wayne Tudor expressed his excitement for the event.

“We contacted around twenty different trucks,” Tudor said. “We got turned down by a few, a lot of them we just never heard [from] at all. We proceeded forward with the food trucks that came today. Then we decided to do the voucher in exchange for the meal swipe, which to me is the most fun for students. We’re really happy for the two hot food trucks to be here along with Sugar Bowl Ice cream. I think it’s fantastic!”

Vendors had to work fast to keep up with the massive lines. Students played lawn games like corn hole as they ate their food with their family or friends. Hannah Messer (‘22) was thrilled to see food trucks at Luther. 

“I think it’s really cool Luther was able to get food trucks on campus,” Messer said. “The turnout was great. There’s so many people here waiting for food. I got food from the Filipino truck. The food was delicious. It’s nice to see how Luther’s younger generation came together. Especially since Covid has affected a lot of the events Luther used to do on campus.”

When asked if Luther would be seeing more food trucks in the future, Mariah Smith (‘95), expressed excitement at the success of the event

“I think so,” Smith said. “If this goes as well as we think it will, I think you will probably see food trucks on campus more often.”