Luther College Student Activities Council Kicks Off Homecoming Week with Open Mic Night

The Open Mic Night winners from left to right (Ethan Maldonado, Gretchen Dwyer, Bella Dasssow, flanked by Student Activities Council Homecoming co-chairs Anna Rem (‘23) and Michelle Armenta (‘23). Photo Courtesy of Lydia Marti.

On Wednesday, October 5 at 8:30 p.m., students filled Marty’s for Luther College’s Homecoming Open Mic Night. The audience watched music, poems, and dances performed by their peers. 

Open Mic Night is an annual homecoming tradition at Luther College. Every fall, students wait to spend the evening at Marty’s either as part of the audience or as performers. Participants faced a panel of judges to pick the top three acts, featuring faculty from the music department. Bella Dassow (‘26) received first place by singing two original songs. Dassow shared that her interest in music began at a young age. 

“I’ve been writing my own songs since probably around eighth or ninth grade,” Dassow said. “I always have loved music, but it definitely hit me more in like eighth grade. And I’ve just been enjoying writing songs because it’s like a stress reliever for me. And it just  kind of came to me, and I really enjoyed doing it.” 

This year Gretchen Dwyer (‘24) received second place with her cover of Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,” and Ethan Maldonado (‘26) took home third place with his original dance to “Boney M. Rasputin.” When asked if they would participate again, performer Ethan Maldonado did not hesitate to answer. 

“Oh absolutely!” Maldonado said. “I really enjoyed this.”

The audience also seemed to enjoy the event. The Student Activities Council Homecoming co-chair Michelle Armenta (‘23) spoke on how Open Mic Night has always been one of her favorite activities in the Luther Homecoming lineup.

“Open Mic Night gives students an opportunity to show off any talent they have,” Armenta said. “There are really no limitations on what students can do, which I think is really cool. And you can perform for your other classmates, and I think the vibe here in Marty’s is really fun too.”

Luther is well known for its music and performing arts program, of which many students are connected to. Open Mic Night performers and attendees alike reported the event to be a positive way for all students to share their craft and expand their artistic experience. Audience member Shae Downing (‘26) explained why she thought Open Mic Night was such a well-attended event during Homecoming.

“It provides people an outlet to express themselves in a different way,” Downing said. “We have so many music ensembles and things like that, [Open Mic Night] is more chill, and I feel like there’s so many more things, like there were dances and poetry and just everything.” 

Open Mic Night is but one of the many events put on by the Students Activities Council. To see future events like this follow @luthercollegesac on Instagram or go to the SAC page on the Luther College website.