Spring activities fair connects students with clubs on campus

The Student Activities Fair, February 16, 2023. Photo courtesy of Bao Nguyen (‘26).

On Thursday, February 16, the Student Activities Council hosted the spring activities fair in the lobby of Dahl Centennial Union. 38 student organizations on campus tabled the event, showcasing various extracurricular activities students could join. 

“We have a comprehensive organization list and so we send out emails to all of them to see if they want to sign up and join,” Marin Leone (‘23), a member of the Students Activities Council said. “We do advertisements on our social media and posters around the Union and also word-of-mouth.”

Students and faculty actively participated in the fair as they interacted with leaders of the organizations and registered to participate in clubs. There were well-established Luther organizations such as the International Students Association and Alliance (ISAA), Luther Model United Nations, Luther College Ministries, but there were also newly established clubs, such as K-Project, a club to appreciate Korean music and culture. Rosie Baldus (‘25), the representative of Active Minds, was excited to share more about her organization at the event.

“We are a club dedicated to ending the stigma against mental health,” Baldus said. “Our big thing is our Green Bandana Project, in which people who wear it [a green bandana] on their backpacks are allies of mental health. Our mission is to spread the word about mental health, and we want people to know that we’re here and that they should not be ashamed of what’s going on in their heads.”

The spring activities fair presents an opportunity for the campus community to get more involved with student-led activities, and learn more about the diverse student body and their interests. International Student Coordinator Alejandra Cruz expressed her interest in the event as she could see students engaging in various activities.

“Since I’ve been working here at Luther, the student fair is a great opportunity to see students grow and find their community sense of belonging,” Cruz said, “It’s a scary feeling when you’re coming from high school to college. In my current role as an international student coordinator, I like to see our international students in our first year who are a bit shy at first get out of their comfort zone to see them socialize with other clubs here.”

In the future, the Student Activities Council will bring more activities to engage the campus community. This spring semester, there will be two major upcoming SAC events to look forward to: Yam Haus with the opening act from local band Holding Hemlock on February 25, and the spring concert featuring BBNO$ on March 11.