Student Senate Makes Changes To Their Constitution

On Monday, April 24, the Student Senate Constitutional Committee hosted a Question and Answer session with students, faculty, and staff members to explain the Senate’s new constitution and the amendments that have been made. The Q&A session occurred in the Student Organizations Office in the Union. 

Student Senate Vice President and Constitutional Committee member Salomé Valdivieso (‘23) spoke about some of the significant changes to the constitution. One such change was to the mission statement of the Senate. The new mission statement emphasizes the Senate’s role in student advocacy by adding Hall Representatives to the Senate’s structure. Valdivieso also spoke about the motivation behind this constitutional amendment. 

“We realized that a lot of issues faced by the Senate could be solved with a new constitution that explicitly addressed such issues,” Valdivieso said. “People’s different roles and responsibilities and engagement with the student body should be prioritized; thus, the Constitutional Committee was formed, and the process of creating a new constitution began.” 

During the session,  Student Senate President and Constitutional Committee member Max Holt (‘23) addressed concerns about the new constitution and how the addition of Hall Representatives to the constitution will affect the student body, specifically through the addition of Hall Representatives. Hall Representatives will be students residing in different residence halls who represent their peers within the official Senate.

“Hall Representatives will ensure that the student body is connected to the Senate formally and informally,” Holt said. “While these changes benefit the student body, we know that it will take some time for students to get used to them, especially changes surrounding student organizations’ funds. We ask everyone to work with us to ensure a smooth transition.” 

Meanwhile, Student Senate Treasurer and Constitutional Committee member Ben Houri (‘23) mentioned how the new constitution would provide specific guidance for the Senate’s different committees and people with more than one role within the Senate. 

“Some Senate members were elected for one position but also served on a different committee within the Senate, causing them to sometimes neglect the duties of their elected position,” Houri said. “The current constitution does not speak specifically to this, so it has been a tricky situation.The new constitution clarifies that your elected position comes first, and everything else is treated as additional responsibilities.”

Valdivieso also spoke about what she hopes to see accomplished from these changes. 

“I hope Senators and students can use the new constitution as a guiding document and a way forward,” Valdivieso said.

For more information about the new constitution and Student Senate, please visit their website.