Melissa Bills installed as campus pastor in special celebration

Luther College director of campus ministries and college pastor Melissa Bills leads a candlelight worship service on December 12, 2021. Bills was recently installed on February 11 during a chapel service. (Photo courtesy of Luther Photo Bureau)

When Pastor Melissa Bills first began filling out paperwork as a part of the ordination process, she was reluctant, not yet ready to fully accept and embrace ministry as her calling. Ultimately, what gave Bills the affirmation she needed to commit was the possibility of someday serving as a college pastor. Bills saw this hope realized in August of 2021 when she began serving as the director of College Ministries and college pastor at Luther College. On Friday February 11, the Luther community officially installed Bills during tri-weekly chapel service.

Held in the Main Hall of the Center for Faith and Life, the installation was presided over by Bishop Kevin Jones of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) Northeastern Iowa Synod. The celebration saw students, faculty, staff, and community members gather to welcome Bills. Luther Norskkor and Aurora choirs provided music that concluded the worship. Ordained in the ELCA, Bills aims to nurture people through faith and formation journeys, and to further the church’s role in working for social justice.

I really love the Lutheran spirit of faith and inquiry,” Bills said. “Our heads and hearts are both at work in our life of faith. The ELCA’s commitment to justice and service makes me feel at home at a Lutheran College.”

As director of College Ministries, Bills guides and facilitates the college’s multiple ministries that aid students’ faith life on and off campus. As a college pastor, Bills offers vocational discernment, mentoring, and care to students and the wider Luther community. Additionally, Bills collaborates with the ELCA and ecumenical community, as well as interfaith organizations in higher education. Prior to joining College Ministries, Bills served as the associate pastor at First Lutheran Church in Decorah, beginning there in 2013.

Bills said she hopes to widen people’s understanding of what college ministries is and who it is for. Her goal is to expand the imagination of the community by focusing on how College Ministries can serve more people than just those who identify as Lutheran. 

“We’re thinking really hard about how we’re serving the wider Christian community on campus,” Bills said. “I also think about how College Ministries can facilitate interfaith work, and what we can offer students who don’t profess any faith. I hope that we can be for the whole campus, meeting and supporting students where they are.” 

Inspired by the meaningful connections she built with her own college pastors, Bills is now building connections with Luther students, such as Kale Altman (‘23). Altman facilitates Focus, the student-led worship service on campus, working closely with Bills. He shared how Bills has positively shaped his experience.

“It’s nice to know that there is someone who wants to be here and is willing to invest in what we have going,” Altman said.She’s very willing and able to participate, even on a Sunday night at 8pm.”

Bills expressed the joy she has felt in being able to explore and expand her usual worship planning. She enjoys the gift of being able to work with a variety of talented musical ensembles and chapel speakers to craft a meaningful and engaging worship service. Luther College Ministries Office Coordinator Kate Matth reflected on Bills’ eagerness to connect with the campus community.

“She makes sure students know that her office is always open,” Matth said. “She’s very open to having any conversation with anyone, which makes it easy for me to work side by side with her.”

Having formative experiences in the church, growing up with her dad serving as choir director and years of serving as a pastor for various congregations, Bills is familiar with the workings of ministry. However, she continues to find things that surprise her during her journey at Luther.

“I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how quickly and wonderfully community can be built,” Bills said. “I expected to have to do a lot more work before I felt like I knew anybody or felt like anyone knew and trusted me.”

Pastor Bills is available to all college students, staff, and faculty for private conversation, spiritual care, and prayer. Appointments with Bills can be made by calling 563-387-1040.