Luther College Celebrates Homecoming

SAC Homecoming co-chairs Michelle Armenta (‘23) and Anna Rem (‘23) carrying the Parade banner. Photo Courtesy of Emilee Burcham-Scofield.

Luther College began Homecoming week on October 3. It was a week filled with many activities, ranging from a biology colloquium on brain death, to a home football game in the valley. There was also a semi-formal dance, open mic night, Homecoming Sunday worship, and several orchestral and choral performances. 

A common theme throughout the week seemed to be community, as Homecoming is often a time where alumni return to campus and connect with current students. There was an atmosphere of inclusion between classes created by the exciting event lineup for Homecoming.

The Student Activities Council Homecoming co-chair Michelle Armenta (‘23) spoke on how Luther’s Homecoming traditions are meant for everyone to enjoy.

“Come to the parade, go to the football game,” Armenta said. “I think that a lot of alumni are going to be here and I think [these events] are just a great way to connect with other people.”

Armenta also encouraged students to attend the open mic night, which took place on Wednesday. Original song performances, a ‘Rasputin’ dance, and original poetry were all performed. Afew outstanding performers were awarded a Luther College tote bag. These winners included a piano and vocal performance, as well as the performance of ‘Rasputin.’

Following the Open Mic Night were a few smaller performances and lectures. One highlight of these events was the Homecoming parade.

This parade started on Water Street and concluded on campus. With multiple organizations participating, spectators were gifted with an array of presentations. The Luther chant could be heard down the street as the pep band, spirit club, and wrestling team passed by, followed closely by the Activities Council, Luther College Dance Marathon, and Special Olympics tossing out candy. 

Member of the Luther College Women’s Basketball team Kenlin Schmitt (‘26)  walked with the Special Olympics representatives. Schmitt seemed to have a very positive time at the parade, and was excited for Luther’s Homecoming events in general.

“I think it’s important for the Luther students to be active in the community,” Schmitt said. “I know the parade was especially important to the people I walked with, because they are not usually able to be involved in these things. I know being in the parade made them all extremely happy.”

After the Homecoming Parade concluded, the Luther Norse Football Team played Coe College. With a solid start in the first quarter the Luther Norse held close behind Coe college with a 10-14 score. Unfortunately, Coe College was consistent with their scoring, adding 14 points to their total each quarter after, while the Norse’s score stood steady. The final score was 10-56. The top performing Norse were Andre Atkins (‘23) and Tommy Kaktis (‘24) who combined for 120 of the 141 Norse receiving yards. 

In a tweet earlier this month, football head coach Joe Troche tweeted how proud he was of the team and their efforts in the win against Simpson College last week. 

“Players have shown so much grit and are just scratching the surface of their potential,” Troche said.

The team will be back in action on October 22 in Dubuque as they take on the Dubuque Spartans in another A-R-C matchup. 

Homecoming week concluded Saturday night with a semi-formal dance in Marty’s Cyberspace Cafe. It was a busy, well-attended Homecoming week, as it helped to bring festivities back to campus.